Boiler/heating help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved in to a new house which is approximately 7 years old. I'm having a little trouble understanding and also working the boiler, heating and hot water.

It is setup as follows -

Boiler in the kitchen which I've found out is a heating only boiler (glow worm hx15)
Unvented hot water cylinder in airing cupboard on 2nd floor

To turn the boiler on I must turn on a switch next to the cylinder and also a switch next to the timer control unit adjacent to the boiler

There is a switch labelled water heater in the kitchen and another switch next to the cylinder which when turned on has 3 red neon lights above it?

I believe the hot water cylinder has an immersion heater also but I'm not sure if this is the primary source of hot water or a backup?

When I turn the heating function on the timer switch to on and turn up the thermostat the boiler fires up and the radiators heat up.

When I turn the hot water function on the timer switch to on the boiler fires up and I can hear the cylinder filling but the water from the taps is cold.

When I turn the water heater and the other switch with the three lights to on (although seems to work with either one) the water heats up from the taps. I assume this is the immersion working.

Surely this can't be the most efficient way of running a system? Would I be better off scrapping the complexity of this and fitting a combi?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a motorised valve problem.
Unvented cylinders are covered under G3 regs so you need someone with those qualifications to work on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back