Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4DE1FE8D-6A3D-41FF-B45F-4F3ADAAF9180.jpeg
52A79B34-9811-415E-92F1-80A8D97D9BF3.jpeg
3B29A5A6-1299-48AE-8904-30E7E97F591D.jpeg
27DC92C0-6F94-4E0A-87F3-1FBC18C7673E.jpeg
8559ADFC-C9DB-4E32-A733-CCF2C211F898.jpeg
Hi my boiler is in the garage l, do I need to insulate the pipes, do I insulate hot and cold pipes also what’s a good type of insulation to use thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes, insulation would be a good idea although there's not space to get much on there where the pipes are clipped to the wall. You'll need to find the distance between the back of the pipe and the wall in order to determine what thickness insulation to buy for there. Where the pipes pass overhead, go for 19mm thick (or even 25mm thick)

BEE3EB53-38DE-4273-A176-C558AA9D155E.jpeg
471E15BD-D8FC-4694-9858-FC86E5D52263.jpeg
C153B940-E7B1-41E0-BE0D-3763ADD3897C.jpeg
Thanks for the advice muggles looks like I’ve got about 12-13 mm space from wall to pipe also is the any good type of insulation and should I use insulation tape to join the pieces, also which type of insulation is good? Should I put the red insulation blanket on the boiler? Thanks

Sponsored Links
do I need to insulate the pipes, do I insulate hot and cold pipes also what’s a good type of insulation to use thank you

Absolutely, you should insulate them. You'll be heating up the garage if you don't and as garages are usually less well insulated than the inside of your house they are at greater risk of freezing if the heating is off in cold weather.

Thanks for the advice everyone have not sorted out the hot water issue yet as I have a leaking flat roof to sort out first then going to have to get a plumber to check the whole heating system

Without re-piping you'll struggle to get 19mm insulation on there...anything less is a waste of time.

The most critical pipework is 15mm on the cold main and expansion vessel...less water volume so more likely to freeze.

Although the boiler probably has internal frost protection it is worthwhile to have a frost stat in the garage in series with a pipe stat on the return pipework.
That way the boiler can circulate heated water around the bypass loop to give a little background heat to the garage.

Given the total lack of thought to insulation I'd question whether the condensate pipework is frost free.

Do not under any circumstances try and insulate the boiler itself.

Loose those gate valves on the flow and return, they contravene safety regs.

As a diy-er, I personally use thicker insulation (25mm or so) on the hot water pipes, and slice the back off with a Stanley- bit of a faff, but I think it's worth it, and tape the joints (along and across) with gaffer, or if there's thinner insulation on already, I put an extra layer on the outside, using a couple of thinner tubes opened out., but then I can get a bit over the top with such things!

Not when it's futile :)
I see so much insulation that's poorly fitted/undersized, it just provides a false sense of security.
Insulation should be glued along the seam and joins, proper mitreing of joints etc. Very rarely done properly.

Agree anything is better than nothing, especially if the water is moving. Although ideal, I'd be surprised if many people have seen mitred and glued lengths in place that they didn't do themselves!
Garage shouldn't freeze if it's integral and not exposed and has a well fitting external door, if the heating is off for long periods it should be drained down regardless.
Our house had a whole network of uninsulated pipes under the draughty suspended floor, the best solution is to add floor insulation and chase the pipes in on the warm side. Ie a repipe inside the thermal envelope.

Of course draining down a system can be the worst thing to do...all the debris lining the pipe walls will dry and turn to dust ready to clog at the next refill. :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back