Boiler in garage, how to tell if it's firing.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Muzz, 6 Dec 2010.

1. Muzz

Muzz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    for no reason really other than nerdy curiosity, is there any way to tell remotely if my boiler is actually firing?

the boiler is in the garage and obviously I can tell if the room or cylinder stat is calling for heat.

I am planning on replacing my room stat with a digital one and have seen some which show a flame icon. I assume that is really just telling you that the heating is on at the control?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. 45yearsagasman

45yearsagasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Um you might feel a little heat coming from it.Thats usually a sign that its firing :rolleyes: and you might have to get up off your a**e to go and see :LOL:

4. andrekhoury

andrekhoury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    to know if ur boiler is running means firing not just power is on, u need to have 2 signal lights in ur house usually in lebanon we put those two signal lights in home electrical panel in kitchen behind the main door , one green and one yellow the green symbolizes that there is power on ur boiler the yellow is when the boiler fires u can install a third lred signal light which means ur boiler is on alaram state so for all those signal lights u need 3 wires and 1 neutral
    for the red light u take 1 neutral wire to it and the other wire to the boiler control terminal which usually it is referred to A as alarm , the green signal light one wire is on neutral and the other wire is directly from boiler circuit breaker the yellow one which is the most important 1 wire on neutral(as all signal lights) and the other is connected to the gas or oil solenoid valve on ur boiler
    so when ur boiler fires the control unit gives power to solenoid valve to release gas , oil ...etc depends on what ur boiler is running so the same power can goes to ur yellow light in case u have an electric boiler means there is a resistance that heats the water it is connected to the resistance thermostat and ur welcome

5. Muzz

Muzz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    well, there is that, but in minus whatever temps, going outside into the garage is not high on my priorities!! :)

i was more thinking on when it's cycling, but like i said, just curiosity really.

6. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your Radiators heat up...then your boiler is Firing FFS!! :rolleyes:

7. Sponsored Links
  8. bengasman

bengasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The rads get hot.

9. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    CCTV camera pointing at the boiler?

10. ravb

ravb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can connect a heat sensor on the boiler cover that is connected to your home alarm system. when the temp reaches to a certain point it will signal to your mobile. this way you can be anywhere in the world!!

IF you want ot know how to set that up, let me know.

11. Slugbabydotcom

Slugbabydotcom

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :rolleyes:

Nerds of a feather

Flock together

:evil:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

12. ajrobb

ajrobb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why do you suspect your boiler is short-cycling?

I'd turn up the 'stat and go and watch the boiler for 5-15 minutes. If there is a problem, come back with boiler type and house type.

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local