boiler instalation

Sponsored Links
if you hang the boiler on the wall and connect all the pipes except the gas, and don't install the flue your ok. But both the flue and the gas have to be done by a RGI. but then again who will know.

Sponsored Links
it's not illegal to do gas work in your own home if you're competent? Its illegal if you do do it anywhere else, unless you are Gas safe registered. I would say though get in a qualified engineer as there are too many safety implications that you will only know with experience and knowledge of core gas safety!

if you hang the boiler on the wall and connect all the pipes except the gas, and don't install the flue your ok. But both the flue and the gas have to be done by a RGI. but then again who will know.

And if the screws holding the boiler in the wall are only 5mm into the brick?? How will the RGI know?

it's not illegal to do gas work in your own home if you're competent? Its illegal if you do do it anywhere else, unless you are Gas safe registered. I would say though get in a qualified engineer as there are too many safety implications that you will only know with experience and knowledge of core gas safety!

Incorrect. how is he competent? because he says he is. ACS is prove you are competent.

Another one who does not know! He never posts in the gas only part of the forum so I must expect that he is not Gas Registered himself which might explain his lack of knowledge about this!

The reality is that there are are FOUR aspects that HAVE to be done by an RGI:-

hanging bracket

flue assembly and connection

gas connection

commissioning

Just like gas pressures, the standard of knowledge in this industry leaves a lot to be desired.

Customers dont help either as they go for the cheapest regardless of their professionalism or even being gas registered!

Tony

Incorrect. how is he competent? because he says he is. ACS is prove you are competent.
But not the only proof. If you can install a boiler all by yourself and it works completely as per M.I. and is mechanically safe etc, you are clearly competent.
I did some fault finding on a system the other day that was installed by somebody who didn't have ACS, and from a gas point of view, it was perfectly safe. It kept failing, but that's another story.

All I can say is go to plumbing and heating forum index and look for the announcement for DIY Gas!! I'm not saying it's right but it's in black and white!

And if the screws holding the boiler in the wall are only 5mm into the brick?? How will the RGI know?

how would you know anyway?e.g on a landlords or general service?

You would never know, but if it fell of the wall, then there would be an RGI responsible for the aftermath, & insurance etc, if it was fitted by the person who signs it off.

I have just come across Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances The HSE's Approved Code of Practice and guidance on the application of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

on page 19 it repeats the definition of "work" from GSIUR 98 -

“work” in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say -
(a) installing or re-connecting the fitting;
(b) maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;
(c) where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and
(d) removing the fitting.
but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector.

It then makes this comment:

For the purposes of these Regulations, ‘work’ includes do-it-yourself activities, work undertaken as a favour for friends and relatives, and work for which there is no expectation of reward or gain, eg voluntary activity for charities.

This means that anyone carrying out such work must have the necessary competence, as required by regulation 3(1).

However, membership of an HSE approved class of persons (under regulation 3(3)) is required only by businesses carrying out gas fitting work (see paragraphs 43-45).

So it would appear to say that DIY work is considered legal, provided you are competent.

The $64,000 question is how do you prove you are competent? The ACOP deals with this later on when it says:

Competence depends on a combination of training and experience. The HSC ACOP Standards of training in safe gas installation provides guidance both on the scope of training and the need for proper assessment/re-assessment of gas fitting operatives (see Appendix 4). Although failure to observe any provision of the Code is not in itself an offence, that failure may be taken by a Court in criminal proceedings as proof that a person has contravened a particular regulation.

It would appear that, provided nothing goes wrong, you won't get caught and hauled up before the magistrates. BUt if you do get caught you will get it in the neck as you would not be classed as "competent".

What concerns me more is that most DIYers will not be familiar with all the tests and safety checks which have to be carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back