Boiler installation quote seems expensive??

A gas boiler would be about 1/3rd the price of an oil boiler, and the pipework for gas supply does not need fire valves etc.

Sponsored Links
what makes you think he is making a premium on boiler ? a lot of people decide how much they want to make on job for how long it will take then add on the cost of materials . So it could end up costing you more as he will prob get boiler cheaper than you and just knock off cost of boiler from his quote .
Do you also want to supply all the individual fittings , screws , rawplugs , flux , solder, cleaners, inhibitors , fillers, cement , wirewool etc etc

I don't know that he's making a premium on the boiler. SNM implied that he would have put a mark up on it. This, I assume, would be to pay for his time sourcing the boiler, which is absolutely fair. I am happy to do the sourcing of the boiler if he is happy to let me and it sames me some money and him some time.
I'm perfectly happy to source everything but it does get a bit complicated knowing exactly what would be required, and if the mark-up is the same on each item then the saving would be much less. So the big money item is the obvious place to start when looking to make a saving.

Being budget conscious is important on this project and tbh I nearly fainted when that quote arrived!

Which is why you should get a few quotes and preferably from recommendations

Sponsored Links
When I had my boiler changed recently, I was going to get my own boiler and just pay for the install. As it happened, the installer could get it for a better price than me so I let him get it. I was working on the assumption that if there were any problems whatsoever, they'd be all his as he supplied and fitted it. It's the same with cars - someone brings me a clutch to fit, I fit it, it goes wrong and it's then down to them to pay me for the removal and replacement of the clutch as it was their clutch - I'm not guaranteeing something a customer supplies. If I supply it, I add a bit onto the price I pay to cover for such eventualities.

Thanks, all good points. I thought, maybe naively, that the manufacturer would provide the manufacturer's warranty, and the installer would provide the installer's warranty.

I have two more people coming tomorrow so should have three quotes soon.

It may be that installers who are willing to install systems other than Worcester Bosch may come in with a slightly lower price.

Would any of you say that the Worcester Bosch systems are worth a premium?

Thanks, all good points. I thought, maybe naively, that the manufacturer would provide the manufacturer's warranty, and the installer would provide the installer's warranty.
Pretty sure that had I supplied it, it would have had the standard two years manufacturers guarantee but as the installer was a Vaillant installer, it came with 7 years guarantee (providing it's serviced regularly). I think if it goes wrong in the first year, the installer comes out and fixes it but after that, it’s Vaillant that comes out.

If you don't have mains gas, it might be worth looking at the wood pellet burning ecologically something or other boilers- I think there are still subsidised/free installs going on if you fit the criteria

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back