Boiler insurance for Landlords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having to replace two boilers on the trot, and the third one now having problems. I was thinking of insuring the boilers.

- Ideas on which service provider is better for my uses ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You may need to consider how competent the repairers you have been using. Are you sure the boilers really needed replacing?

What age and model were they?

Most of the problems in landlord properties are as a result of poor quality installation but this is not covered by insurance schemes.

Do the same people who tell you a boiler needs replacing do the replacement work?

Tony

One was a Valiant 242 vcw that has a faulty dhw, then pcb board went and heat exchanger was leaking

the other was a glowworm, 30 main heat exchanger fault, pump noisey, pressure valve leaking + leaking vessel of some sort.

the current one thats having trouble is - worcster combi 28si2
PCB is dead = no hot water.

The valiant is / was atleast 13 years old
the glow worm is / was 7 years old
the WC is 4 years old.

Yes the same people are fitting / repairing the boilers.

the biggest issues is, i have used several diffrent compaines before,
I cant find a decent one, so i stick to using local corgi eng's. atleast they turn up.

I have even resorted to putting up an add on these forums, - no answer.
I just want a good corgi, who can fix diagnose faults.

in excess i have spent nearly 2600£ in parts and labour including two new boilers.

in excess i have spent nearly 2600£ in parts and labour including two new boilers.

I think that last line may help to give some of the answers!

We charge £840 to fit a boiler and adding the boiler cost the price you have paid is not enough.

The vaillant 242. Its sounds as if you have been done as usual. They add to the faults in order to get a more profitable install job! Probably needed a new diverter valve at about £210 supplied and fitted!

The GlowWorm 30 ci problems all all down to poor install quality. No boiler should ever be replaced within 10 years!

As for replacing a four year old boiler, thats almost criminal! I agree some Worcesters have not been as reliable as expected but to repair is about £210 which is far cheaper than replacing.

I appreciate that you have found it difficult to get good repairers. That may partly be because you are reluctant to pay ( as indicated by apparently expecting to get boilers supplied and installed for about £900 each! ).

We have to be selective with repairs for landlords because so many expect to pay third world prices in the UK!

Where are you located and why have you apparently had boilers fitted without power flushing?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Got to agree with Tony here...

Spend a little cash on a decent repair for your boilers and they should last for years.

The Worcester Si2 is not one of their finest boilers but the PCBs are available

Being in a similar position to you, you wont get much sympathy on this site as all Landlords are seen as tight.
The way forward in my opinion, is stick with one type of boiler. I appreciate you 'inherit' boilers with the property, but as you have said you are now replacing some, stick to one make. That way you will get to know the symptoms just as well as an engineer. (or you should do, it's your money after all)
Another good tip I have read on here, was to have a spare boiler for parts.

Most importantly, find a good engineer, once found, look after him, they are hard to find. Pay him promptly and gain his trust. You can normally help each other out, by giving him Gas Safety checks and servicing when he is not so busy. Then when the emergency repairs are needed, he will be more willing to help you out. Common sense really. It just takes time to build up this rapport.

Servicing and maintaining so many combi's is not cheap. :eek:

Last january I replaced a diverter valve on a vaillant 242.

There were many other serious faults with the installation and I emailed the landlady with the list of problems.

Today, nine months later, she called me and I recommended that in view of the problems she should get a new boiler.

Why wait 9 months?

Tony

This type of story suddenly gave me a marketing stratergy.
here is a demand for a reliable breakdown engineer who can also fit boilers. All he has to do is a pick a single say 28kw combi which he is confident he can repair on a first visit for the next 15 years. he must hold a stock of every part for that one boiler, perhaps 3 of certain parts depending on size of customer base.

He could then advertise himself stating these facts and offer a service contract for his own boilers.

i would say rent the boilers but I won't because apart from these two landlords posting all other landlords either never pay or pay very late after much chasing, and apart from these two landlords' tenants all tenants are a pita. So the experienced gas fitter will know that to offer a payment scheme is to give money away to these types of people. A full price for the install then a monthly cover for whatever goes wrong should work for both parties..

There are masses of boilers which could provide this service the trick is geting the right person.

i mean i'll be candid i don't like Worcesters today but the repair person who retires a 4 year old worcester is not the best person for your situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back