Boiler iq device, where is it and TF1 serviceability?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG-20191103-WA0000.jpeg
Relative of mine had a Bosch Greenstar 30 installed by BG earlier in the year.

Reading some of the paperwork I noted it mentioned Boiler iq and a cost associated with it. Lowering the front cover I don't see an additional box on the front.

How would I know if it has been installed on this model? I understand that it would be connnected to the WiFi in her house to but I don't see any additional devices on her home hub when checking what's connected in advanced settings. It would have a MAC and IP address.

Also I noted they installed a TF1 filter. I have the older model but can see the drain point and tap. How the heck do they think anyone will be able to drain it, far too close to the boiler and they omitted the isolation valves too which is just daft.

Comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did you're friend opt for BG because of the buy now pay later offer?

A valid comment but no that was not the case but I think I know where you are going....

Let me go no futher than saying I was not happy they followed this route in the first place and advised against it, on the basis of better value would have been had with my own independent Valliant registered engineer.

Do you have any comments on grounds to complain on this TF1 install. It's quite shoddy in my opinion.

I didn’t fit isolation valves on mine - I heard they could restrict flow and couldn’t really see the point of them unless you wanted to remove the whole filter unit without draining the system down. In my case, my filter is fitted next to the boiler which is in the loft, about a foot away from the highest point in the system should I ever need to remove the whole filter. Making sure the boiler is switched off, I just remove the magnet from the top to allow any metal particles to sink to the bottom, place a container underneath the unit and undo the valve. Being a sealed system, a quick blast is all that's needed to clear it out. I think the installation looks neat enough to me but it does look a bit tight to drain on your relatives one but after removing the cap on the bottom, couldn't you fit an angled washing machine hose onto it and drain it into a container? One of these:
6FB1BF16-6036-41A9-A704-FC67E172A0DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's a good idea for sure.

However I doubt on the next service by BG they would have such a sensible approach in the 6 mins they get allocated:D. Gas analyser check I'm off....

I don’t think draining the system filter would be included in a BG boiler service anyway, well, not according to this taken from their site:

"So, what’s involved in a boiler service? Your engineer will begin by inspecting your boiler and controls to make sure they’re working properly. They’ll then check for corrosion and leaks, ensuring the gas pressure is correct and test the flue to make sure it’s not emitting any unsafe fumes. The whole thing should take about 20 minutes. When it’s done, your engineer should leave you with a boiler checklist of information. Make sure you keep it safe for reference afterwards".

I don’t think draining the system filter would be included in a BG boiler service anyway, well, not according to this taken from their site:

"So, what’s involved in a boiler service? Your engineer will begin by inspecting your boiler and controls to make sure they’re working properly. They’ll then check for corrosion and leaks, ensuring the gas pressure is correct and test the flue to make sure it’s not emitting any unsafe fumes. The whole thing should take about 20 minutes. When it’s done, your engineer should leave you with a boiler checklist of information. Make sure you keep it safe for reference afterwards".
And then spend another 20 minutes trying to sell you a powerflush or a system upgrade of some description and other shoite that you dont need

The boiler it device clips into the front of the boiler. If you drop the flap on the front you should see it. It is in the middle and has a green light on it.
There should also be a Hive hub plugged into thr internet router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back