TF1 compact filter with new Combi Boiler - necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new Greenstar 30i installed, a TF1 compact was added to the system in a most inconvenient place. We did tell the installer not to put it there (because a shower is to go in that cupboard), but alas they 'forgot'.

So I have since drained the system and removed the filter. Admittedly there is no other convenient place on the return for it to go. The only option is directly above the boiler itself - but this option will require about 7 22mm elbows. I already bought 7 Conex copper push fit elbows to avoid using plastic (I know is against regs to use plastic that close to boiler). There is not really space to use compression or solder, so it has to be push fit. ( See photo)

20181022_233216.jpg

It occurred to me however that adding 7 elbows for the sake of a filter might just not be worth it or have unintended consequences. When I drained down to remove the filter the water seemed very clear, shall I just forget the filter and drain and refill with fresh water/inhibitor once a year instead?

Sponsored Links
Well if it wasn't for a 'next day delivery' that never arrived, the tray would have gone in today!

Well, that certainly puts you in the "what now?", rather than "what if?" category of poster we get on here so, sorry for being presumptuous :oops:(y)

If the boiler warranty conditions "recommend" but do not "stipulate" a magnetic filter is fitted, then you could just leave it off. But, your installer's warranty may be different in that requirement!

You could bring the return down the side of the boiler and fit the filter there and then go under the boiler and up to the return inlet. Maybe that would save some elbows and give more space?

I'd recommend having the filter but ultimately, it's your call.

Sponsored Links
Well, that certainly puts you in the "what now?", rather than "what if?" category of poster we get on here so, sorry for being presumptuous :oops:(y)

If the boiler warranty conditions "recommend" but do not "stipulate" a magnetic filter is fitted, then you could just leave it off. But, your installer's warranty may be different in that requirement!

You could bring the return down the side of the boiler and fit the filter there and then go under the boiler and up to the return inlet. Maybe that would save some elbows and give more space?

I'd recommend having the filter but ultimately, it's your call.

No worries, I know what you mean...

I didn't really think about putting it below because i've already boxed it in, but I didn't think about using the return inlet's other port. To be honest i'd have to get someone in to make that connection (to the return valve) as I'm not familar with the boilers valve. (Also got filling loop which would need reconfiguring).

I might try find someone who'd just do that part and not charge me for the time consuming but simple tasks of draining, dosing, refilling etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Definitely worth having a filter, especially on a highly sensitive boiler like yours which will overheat and implode at the slightest whiff of a speck of dirt in the system. Having said that, the TF1 is a particularly rubbish filter - I've not yet found one that isn't leaking. The Adey Magnaclean or Spirotrap MB3 are better options.

Draining down and adding fresh water every year isn't advisable though - that also adds fresh oxygen which will increase corrosion. Use Adey chemicals and their test kit to ensure your system is properly cleaned and protected, and top up with MC1 as required.

I might try find someone who'd just do that part and not charge me for the time consuming but simple tasks of draining, dosing, refilling etc.
Always best to get the installer to do the refill. What happened if they leave it for you to do then one of their joints leaks when you do the refill. Are you going to expect them to come back free of charge to repair it? Are you prepared to wait for that until they have another space in their diary?

Right fair enough, I guess in my own trade I wouldn't like such an approach from a customer either!

If I could just ask...

Managed to locate the filter under the shower tray (which is raised on a riser kit) without having to fit near the boiler.

However the tray makes access very difficult but not impossible - I would have to attach a washing machine hose to the drain port and reach under the tray when cleaning the filter.

My question is I have seen many reports of the standard TF1 filter leaking - does this apply to the compact version as well? I don't fancy having to rip out the shower tray if this happened as the plumbing and sealing under tiles will not be a fun job to have to re-do!

I have read carefully some discussions on leaking TF1's and they all seem to refer to the full size version, not the TF1 compact - perhaps the compact is not prone to leaking?

I should add the tray has not been fixed yet so the chance to remove the filter is available...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back