Boiler issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, on Saturday morning I noticed a drip through the ceiling in an upstairs bedroom (directly below the boiler in the loft) I went up and there was a small fracture in the plastic manifold (worcester boiler), I called an engineer and he had a look and ordered the replacement part and turned off the hot water supply in the loft.

Today two other guys came with the part and replaced it, but they are now saying that the PCB has been damaged by the water and I'll need a new one. The thing I don't understand is that the hot water worked fine up 'til the point that it was turned off and when turned off it obviously wasn't leaking anymore. Is there any other reaon for the system not working?

Sponsored Links
Seems strange ! I can only suggest that when replacing the part they got water onto to the PCB & damaged it . Do you know exactly what part they replaced.

Cheers, they just said it was a left side plastic manifold. When I looked at it it was spraying a fine spray horizontally. But as I mentioned the hot water was working OK when it was turned off.

That sounds like the left hydraulic block.

Rare for them to fail on a Worcester, its the Glow Worm ones that are usually the problem.

Mains water spraying over the boiler is very likely to damage the PCB. Both YOU and the engineer should have IMMEDIATELY turned off the power to the boiler when you found a leal. The same applies to anyone else.

An independent will often try to dry out the PCB with a hairdryer. That usually works if the PCB was wetted with no power applied. Otherwise it is very likely to have been damaged.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I did turn off the power as soon as I found the leak. I just don't understand how we were still getting hot water up to that point but now the PCB is damaged, thought ther might have been another explanation.

Most PCB's have a protective coating applied so it may have taken a little while for the water to find it's way to a component that dislikes water,
it is not unusual as you must appreciate that water and elctronics do not mix
thankfully Worcester PCB's are among the cheapest to buy! ;)

British gas engineer replaced a diaphragm on a baxi combi at a house
I was doing a gas check for. Own said
he let water onto the PCB and took that out. Sounds like similar has happened here.

I always cover the pcb board with a thick towel. Drain the system thoroughly
and have a water vacuum at the ready as I undo the parts.

It's not rocket science.

With the greatest of respect we are speculating about the cause of the PCB failing, water is clearly the cause and that should be an end to it
these things happen

The only way to stop water reaching the PCB on a Baxi 105 is to REMOVE the PCB before starting work!!

IMHO let the person that has NEVER had a problem like this cast the first stone!! ;) [/b]

With the greatest of respect we are speculating about the cause of the PCB failing, water is clearly the cause and that should be an end to it
these things happen

The only way to stop water reaching the PCB on a Baxi 105 is to REMOVE the PCB before starting work!!

IMHO let the person that has NEVER had a problem like this cast the first stone!! ;) [/b]

Rare for them to fail on a Worcester

It's starting to happen a lot on the Juniors, I've changed a few now! Worcester recommend fitting a PRV and mini expansion vessel on the inlet. Not sure if this would effect a warranty claim...

Shock arrestors. Worcestor seem to be the only one using that as an excuse. Ill never go back to fitting them.

As I recall this problem only arises on houses with a water meter ( which has a built in non return valve.

That can allow the pressure to build up in the hot water parts of the boiler and crack the plastic.

Viessmann added a little dead end pipe to absorb expansion. While thats the theory, a little air was trapped and absorbed the expansion. In reality unless drained every few months the water dissolves the air and it ceases to have any effect.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back