Boiler kicking in to soon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have glow worm 28c gas boiler. My problem is I have temperature set at 20 degrees and when the house gets up to heat it usually sits steady at 20 degrees. My problem is the gas boiler keeps kicking in every so often even tho thermostat still says 20 degrees. Why is this? Surely it should only kick in if temp drops to say 19.5 degrees just to bring it back up to 20. Am I doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
So are you saying the house is getting hotter than your set temperature of 20, or is it staying at the set temperature? If it's staying at the set temperature then I'd say everything is working well

Its staying at set temp. But I thought it was only meant to kick in if it went under 20 degrees. As I said the temp stays at 20 degrees for quit a while without dropping down so I don't need gas coming on every so often to maintain temp. I would save more gas if it only came on if it needed to bring it up 0.5 a degree. Defeats the purpose if you ask me.

What type of room thermostat do you have, old electro-mechanical 'clicky' type or something more modern?

Do you have TRV's fitted on the radiators?

I don't think that boiler modulates its Kw output, so its only option is maximum or none.

Sponsored Links
The room temperature sensor needs to be located in a room which has a radiator which doesn't have a TRV.

If the TRV is set to limit the room temperature to 19C, then the boiler will keep on firing trying to get that room to 20C, which it obviously cannot do.

OK I understand what you mean. I have trv on Every radiator and I have them all turned up full. I leave all doors open inside house to let heat flow evenly and I keep the thermostat on the landing. If they are turned full what temp is radiator set at?

OK I understand what you mean. I have trv on Every radiator and I have them all turned up full. I leave all doors open inside house to let heat flow evenly and I keep the thermostat on the landing. If they are turned full what temp is radiator set at?

Maximum, no temperature control at all - but one radiator must not be fitted with a TRV, or some sort of bypass should be fitted. That is to ensure the boiler always has some means of circulation.

The whole point of having TRV's is to allow each room/ each radiator to have separate temperatures.

Back to your issue, the landing might not be the best place - it will be subjected to a lot of air movement as hot and cool air rises past it. Try it in the living room or in the hall, adjacent to an inside wall, not too near a radiator and where the sun cannot get to it.

The temperature throughout the house is the same I don't need to keep it anywhere else. I have moved a separate thermometer around the house to test temprature. Why would I need to adjust each radiator when temp is even through house and I want boiler to shut out as quick as possible?

It is the thermostat telling the boiler what to do with the temprature it's set at tho. If it's set at 20 surely it should not becoming on every so often unless it drops to 19.5

It is the thermostat telling the boiler what to do with the temprature it's set at tho. If it's set at 20 surely it should not becoming on every so often unless it drops to 19.5

What about if it drops to 19.9? If it was coming on unnecessarily the temperature would go above 20. It doesn’t so all is well.

But it's kicking in when it's reading 20 degrees it is not showing 19.9 it's reading 20. I don't need it switching on at 20 as the house stays at 20 for ages even if heating is turned off. I only want it kicking in if temp drops by 0.5 degrees. It's how I will save money

But it's kicking in when it's reading 20 degrees it is not showing 19.9 it's reading 20. I don't need it switching on at 20 as the house stays at 20 for ages even if heating is turned off. I only want it kicking in if temp drops by 0.5 degrees. It's how I will save money

So maybe it is kicking in at 19.9999. If you want it kicking in at 19.5 set it that way. But the house will be at 19.5.

As I said if the house stays at 20 all is well. It is switching on to replace lost heat. If not where do you think this “additional” heat goes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back