Central Heating Not Kicking in at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having a couple of issues with the central heating which I want to clear up before the temperatures drop.

I run the CH via a thermostat. It’s set for 18.5 degrees and in the day it runs absolutely fine, if it drops below, the flame symbol comes on on the thermostat and the boiler fires up etc.

However at night I’ve noticed when ever I go downstairs between 12am-6am that the thermostat will be on say 16-17 degrees, and the flame symbol will be on the thermostat, however the boiler hasn’t kicked in and the Rads haven’t come on.

Would appreciate any guidance!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
is there a program timer for the boiler , which may be on settign twice , and OFF at night - so the boiler cannot come on ?

not tested , BUT i have just had a new wireless thermostat for a new boiler - we have a timer control , which can be set to always on, once , twice, off . and i would expect regardless of what the thermostat stated the timer would control if the boiler was able to light or not

in a previous house the program timer and thermostat were both in the same wireless unit

So my boiler programmer has 4 settings

ON - goes off the thermostat
Auto - Set Times and temperature
24 Hour - Stays On at set temp
OFF

I’m using ON, which connects to the wired thermostat. As mentioned, in the day it’s absolute fine, it’s just at night it won’t kick in, despite the thermostat having the flame symbol meaning it’s calling for heat.

Sponsored Links
they should all be controlled by the themostate
24hours will be on all the time with the thermostat controlling

can you post a picture of the controller

not sure what the difference between on and 24 is - do you set a temperature on the 24hr

So 24 hours keeps the hearing on at all times going off the temperature that the boiler is set to. It will literally just stay on the whole time.

ON will fire the boiler up going off the temperature of the thermostat. So if it drops below the thermostat temp it will fire up the heating

ok, no idea then , as, only had 1 house , where the timer for the boiler - and NO themostat in house , so boiler sets temp
and in all other houses the thermostat in the room always controlled the boiler , with various different types of programmer to control when

Dereekoo

suggests - change the clock time by 12hours

What model of thermostat do you have?

image.jpg
image.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You don’t have it set to “on”, as there isn’t one. You have it on all day, which as per instructions operates from 1st on until 3rd off. Info you want it on constantly and use the thermostat you need to set to 24 hours. The thermostat doesn’t override the programmer, it operates when the programmer requests heating.

You don’t have it set to “on”, as there isn’t one. You have it on all day, which as per instructions operates from 1st on until 3rd off. Info you want it on constantly and use the thermostat you need to set to 24 hours. The thermostat doesn’t override the programmer, it operates when the programmer requests heating.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate you trying to help. I believe auto operates from 1st on until 3rd off. All day, is done of the thermostat depending on when the temp drops, which is what is happening during the day I.e. if it drops below 18 it automatically kicks in, apart from at night. 24 Hours comes on all day to the temperature set on the boiler, not thermostat

24 Hours comes on all day to the temperature set on the boiler, not thermostat
That is incorrect, if you have a room thermostat, the boiler thermostat doesn’t control anything. 24 hours means it is set to constantly on, have a look at the attached screenshot

Attachments

• D7CE04DF-9375-4460-A979-8EF1A97843B2.jpeg
    D7CE04DF-9375-4460-A979-8EF1A97843B2.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 39

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back