Boiler lockout problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help advise me.

I have a Boulter Camray Quartet 90-110 Oil boiler.
Today the red lockout light came on.
I hit the reset button and it fired back up again.
I had a similar problem about 14 months ago and the capacitor was changed and all was well.

About a month ago I had my boiler serviced by someone I don't want to use again and he muttered something about a gasket / seal being worn and may need replacing soon saying he thought there could be some minor escape of gases going on.

So what are possible causes apart from capacitor failure for a lockout problem and could the problem he mentioned be a cause?

Could someone explain in more detail what he was referring to?

He also said the parts are very difficult to get hold of as the boiler is old.
It's only 15 years old. Is that true?

I assume there are online shops that sell any parts I would need.

Can someone recommend some?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I guess this has the Riello 40 burner?
Obviously there are a few issues that have to be considered here - we don't know if the motor is actually starting to spin when it needs to (thats what the capacitor does).
Common issues are the coil that controls the oil flow from the pump to the nozzle (3 wires going to it) and dirt on the photocell.
The gasket thats referred to sounds like the seal between the burner blast tube and the boiler itself - this shouldn't be an issue in this case.
Presumably the boiler is clean inside, regarding the baffles etc? Its also vital that the fuel pump pressure is correctly set, and a flue gas analysis carried out.
John :)

I guess this has the Riello 40 burner?
Obviously there are a few issues that have to be considered here - we don't know if the motor is actually starting to spin when it needs to (thats what the capacitor does).
Common issues are the coil that controls the oil flow from the pump to the nozzle (3 wires going to it) and dirt on the photocell.
The gasket thats referred to sounds like the seal between the burner blast tube and the boiler itself - this shouldn't be an issue in this case.
Presumably the boiler is clean inside, regarding the baffles etc? Its also vital that the fuel pump pressure is correctly set, and a flue gas analysis carried out.

Hi John
Thanks for the very speedy response!
Yes it's a Riello 40 Burner.
Well I don't know but I assume the boiler is clean as it was only serviced about a month ago.
I assume parts are readily available then for my boiler then?

I can't believe the lockout problem will be a one off so I'll be needing a new heating engineer soon I guess.

Anyone on this forum service my area?

I'm in Borough Green Sevenoaks Kent

Thanks.

The problem with motor capacitors and oil valve coils is that they fail without any warning at all....which is why most engineers keep replacements with them.
There's no problem getting burner parts - nozzles, pumps, coils and electrodes are readily available. I use www. heating-parts.co.uk for mail order stuff but there are some others. Boiler parts may be a different issue but they are generally tough things - even baffles can be made up if they can't be bought.
If your burner is regularly locking out it shouldn't be such a big deal to sort it, but its the necessary flue gas analysis after the work is done that bumps the prices up.
Always keep an ear and eye alert for smoke at the flue, 'bumping' as the burner starts up or other changes in its tone.
With most boilers, if they are set up well, there is remarkably little soot deposit after a year.

Sponsored Links
The problem with motor capacitors and oil valve coils is that they fail without any warning at all....which is why most engineers keep replacements with them.
There's no problem getting burner parts - nozzles, pumps, coils and electrodes are readily available. I use www. heating-parts.co.uk for mail order stuff but there are some others. Boiler parts may be a different issue but they are generally tough things - even baffles can be made up if they can't be bought.
If your burner is regularly locking out it shouldn't be such a big deal to sort it, but its the necessary flue gas analysis after the work is done that bumps the prices up.
Always keep an ear and eye alert for smoke at the flue, 'bumping' as the burner starts up or other changes in its tone.
With most boilers, if they are set up well, there is remarkably little soot deposit after a year.
Thanks again John
This may be a complete red herring but I remember once a service guy telling me the location of the flue is not ideal in that if you get wind in a certain direction it may blow gasses back in to the boiler.
The last couple of days like everyone else we've had extremely strong winds and especially in that area of house. Our bins are located nearby and blowing over which has never happened before.
Could that cause a boiler to lock out?

Also is it better to get someone out whilst it's temporarily locking out or wait until it fails i.e. maybe quicker to diagnose?

Also regarding the flue gas analysis. Over the years we have about 4 different guys to service our boiler. Time taken seemed to vary dramatically which obviously makes me wonder whether the quicker guys are cutting corners?
The only guy I really liked took the longest and I always got a copy of the analysis. Sadly he gave up his job to look after his sick wife.

I'm guessing a gas analysis is standard in a service and is it normal to give a copy to the customer?

Thanks once again.

Thanks

Flue location is a factor with wind. I have one to sort out soon and need to modify the intake to correct it.

A broken boiler is easy to fix compared with an intermittent one.

Sometimes a service is easy and consequently quick, sometimes it takes a long while. Some people are faster workers, and some cut corners. No easy answer to this one.

Gas analysis is essential, as is a smoke test and the customer should always get a copy. They have paid for it and it shows it's been done, though many customers don't know what it means.

Thanks again John
This may be a complete red herring but I remember once a service guy telling me the location of the flue is not ideal in that if you get wind in a certain direction it may blow gasses back in to the boiler.
The last couple of days like everyone else we've had extremely strong winds and especially in that area of house. Our bins are located nearby and blowing over which has never happened before.
Could that cause a boiler to lock out?

Also is it better to get someone out whilst it's temporarily locking out or wait until it fails i.e. maybe quicker to diagnose?

Also regarding the flue gas analysis. Over the years we have about 4 different guys to service our boiler. Time taken seemed to vary dramatically which obviously makes me wonder whether the quicker guys are cutting corners?
The only guy I really liked took the longest and I always got a copy of the analysis. Sadly he gave up his job to look after his sick wife.

I'm guessing a gas analysis is standard in a service and is it normal to give a copy to the customer?

Thanks once again.

Thanks

I have certainly had problems with a low level balanced flue plus wind - if the boiler only locks out during a storm that could be an indicator!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back