boiler loosing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow worm 24CI
I bled a radiator yesterday and ever since the boiler keeps loosing pressure.
Each time it takes longer to re pressurise it and the pressure drops faster
Any ideas why

Sponsored Links
Yes it is. The wall below is soaking wet.
I just got in from dropping my daughter of and it gone of again
This time it re pressurised quickly

Combi boilers have a pressure release valve that is built in......typically if the water pressure reaches 3 bar , the relief valve opens and allows water to spurt outside - its a safety measure. What often happens is that owners overpressurise their boiler, the valve opens but doesn't always fully shut again, maybe to a tiny bit of dirt stuck in the seal.
The valve may seal itself if you raise the pressure, but if it doesn't its necessary to replace it.
If the pressure continues to drop, its a good bet that the valve is still passing.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you
Pressure now drops from 1.0 to 0.6 within 30-45 minutes

Still allowing water through, then......if you pressurise up to the lift off point, the valve will open, maybe the problem will flush away and then the valve may seal again.
If it does, then you'll have to reduce the pressure by bleeding water away from a nearby radiator.
The alternative is to keep topping up until someone can give you a call. However, there's been a fair bit of fresh water introduced into your system here which isn't really desirable as the inhibitor will be diluted somewhat.
Life's never simple :eek:
John :)

Hello i have low water pressure error sign on my Keston C36 combi but can't see the pressure valve to see whst reading i have ??

I've had the plumbers out and they replaced the release valve. Pressure is still dropping though if the heating is one.
When re pressurising the boiler water does leak out from underneath it. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Could that be another symptom of anything going wrong?

I've had the plumbers out and they replaced the release valve. Pressure is still dropping though if the heating is one.
When re pressurising the boiler water does leak out from underneath it. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Could that be another symptom of anything going wrong?
Yes.

When re pressurising the boiler water does leak out from underneath it.

Very common on these and nothing to worry about normally. If you look up under the boiler while filling it, the water is probably dripping out of a little brass hole a bout 5 or 6 inches from the filling handle, if it stops after a few minutes thats ok, its not your problem.

Get your boiler while the heatings off, fill to 1 bar or 1.5 bar while the systems cold, then run your heating till all the radiators are nice and hot, then turn heating off and tell us what the pressure reading is then.

When they replaced the valve did they check the expansion vessel pressure ?

When re pressurising the boiler water does leak out from underneath it.

Very common on these and nothing to worry about normally. If you look up under the boiler while filling it, the water is probably dripping out of a little brass hole a bout 5 or 6 inches from the filling handle, if it stops after a few minutes thats ok, its not your problem.

Get your boiler while the heatings off, fill to 1 bar or 1.5 bar while the systems cold, then run your heating till all the radiators are nice and hot, then turn heating off and tell us what the pressure reading is then.
Thanks
Just did and pressure is 1.9 with boiler still running
Will check again in 5 minutes and update the topic

When they replaced the valve did they check the expansion vessel pressure ?

I wasn't here when it was done as I was working out of town
I would hope they did

went up to 2.0 bar before stat reached temperature and cut off

Sounds ok, its not getting near the set off pressure (3bar ish) for the PRV, which sounds like expansion vessel is ok.

Possible leak at a radiator valve or under floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back