Boiler low pressure wont re-set.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch 350 combi boiler. Yesterday the low system pressure light came on. The pressure was low so I pressured it back up to normal but the low pressure light has stayed on and of course boiler wont fire up. Has anybody got any ideas on what I can do? All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be a faulty pressure gauge, or perhaps a small bit of crud blocking the pressure sensing tube.

Try over pressurising it VERY temporarily and see what happens.

As high as you like, the PRV will open at about 3 bar, so you won't do any damage to the boiler.

Probably won't cure it, but a simple thing to try first.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave, took pressure up to 3 bar but light has stayed on. Is switch an easy item to replace?

Everything on any WB is a pain in the bum. I will only service them, anything else I walk away, no charge to customer.

Sounds like the water pressure switch is blocked. Drop the pressure in the system and remove it. It's a round thing about 1 and half inches at the left hand side of the pumps. Use a matchstick or an allen key to push the crud out, check the pipe connection as well.

If the pressure sensor inlet is blocked then they usually do eventually reset after up to a few hours with a rather high pressure of say 2 BAR.

I usually ask my customers to wait 2-3 hours and then I would come and replace it or better still if they are not too bothered I suggest they leave it overnight.

Of course there is a very important question of why the owner does not regularly check the boiler pressure BEFORE the LP switch operates!

Tony

Have you also checked that the overheat stat has not tripped? Top right of the boiler.

Until you get the switch repaired or replaced, as a VERY temporary measure, you can switch the white and the green wires on the low pressure switch and it will give you heating and hot water but like i say this should only be used as a very temporary measure and is not a fix!!

Thanks for all advice. Tried all except shorting the wiring. Was going to try this but tried giving it a few 'taps' with hammer & screwdriver. After a dozen 'taps' it reset itself.Thanks again for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back