Boiler making weird noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I am merely just a son helping a dad out with a noisy boiler, let me explain the situation, as it's an "odd one." (Please note, I'm not all too experienced with boiler terms, this is a shot I'm the dark for help)

We own a Glow Worm "combi" boiler and it sits in the loft (attic) at the end of the house. We tend to be rather strict on how often it comes on and it normally heats the house to 17.5°C in the mornings, nights and evenings.

It's not a particularly old boiler, 5 years now and it's been serviced once. However, it was after the servicing when the noises started to happen. It's only the central heating side that there's issues with, using hot water from taps or baths is completely fine.

As for the noise, it sounds something like a "metallic fart," which has been the way it's been described. It only happens when the heating comes on and it doesn't happen all the time. It's known for having 2 parts; a grinding-like noise -pause - another grinding-like noise then a big clunk shortly after, all within a matter of seconds.

The noise can be heard up in the loft (attic), but it's much louder throughout the house, even at the front of the house. Keep in mind that because it's in the loft (attic), it makes the boiler sound very loud at times.

We have had an engineer try to look at the problem, but obviously, whenever they are present, it hasn't made the noise. We have tried to record the noise using our phones, but no luck, it's "too quiet."

It's getting hard to sleep as I'm constantly worried about what could go wrong. I sincerely apologize with how little information is provided, but I've searched everywhere and I cannot find any answers.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back