Boiler & Megaflo combo recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now at the point where I need to remove the old hot water cylinder from upstairs and the water tank and gravity CH water tank from the loft. This is a major element of the refurbishment as I plan to remove all the plumbing and replace with new.

I think I will take the opportunity to replace the boiler at the same time when i relocate it.

The house & requirements

- Radiators to 5 large rooms plus 2 hallways (8 rads probably)
- 3 towel rails (but these could be electric)
- feed to manifold to serve approximately 80m2 of wet underfloor heating
- 1 Kitchen, 1 Utility, 2 bathrooms, 1 WC
- Boiler to be located in garage
- Cylinder to be located in the loft

I think I need a 250litre tank and was looking at the Eco Plus 250 / 300.

Could anyone recommend makes and models for a suitable set up including controls. Performance, reliability and functionality are more important than cost (within reason).

Your help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure your loft is strong enough to take a third of a tonne of extra weight in it? You might be better off looking at a Joule High Gain cylinder around 170 litres. They heat up much more quickly, when coupled to a suitable boiler & system, so you don't need such a big one. Go for an Intergas Xclusive 36 set up on an X-plan hot water priority system - it'll throw the maximum 36kW of power at your cylinder to heat it when needed, but can modulate down to 3.6kW for efficiency on your heating

I am removing an existing water tank (granted it is smaller) from the loft. It is currently sited spanning a LB wall. The plan was to place the new cylinder in the same place but can have it checked by SE before actually doing anything.

The 250l unit is just under 300kg when full. That cant be too diss similar to me standing next to the existing tank.

Unless there is a very good reason not to I would like to stick with a megaflo unit. I have had them in the past and found them to be excellent.

The 250l unit is just under 300kg when full. That cant be too dissimilar to me standing next to the existing tank.
Possibly not, but you're presumably not standing next to it 24/7

Unless there is a very good reason not to I would like to stick with a megaflo unit. I have had them in the past and found them to be excellent.
They're one of the most expensive for no real benefit over a Joule (or other) unit, and personally I think the internal baffle system is more hassle than it's worth, especially in a loft as they often need recharging every 6 months.

Sponsored Links
As long as you spread the load in the loft and it is over a LB wall, you'll be fine.

Agree with @muggles the joule is a far better product than the Megaflo, an external EV is much better to service. Megaflos have issues with baffle deterioration.

Thanks guys. I have never found the recharging to be a major issue, but i will have a look at the joules product and do a bit of research.

Thanks guys. I have never found the recharging to be a major issue, but i will have a look at the joules product and do a bit of research.

Joule cyclone has 2 coils so it regenerates hot water very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back