Boiler not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi had a boiler fitted and it looks tilted, I thought it was possibly the window making it look out of true but the window casing is as near as damn it level (.1deg vertical) so I put my level on on the boiler casing and it’s 1.4 deg off vertical, so it might just be the casing that’s been fitted off kilter.

my question is, would this tilt; if the internal parts are fitted tilted make any difference to the boilers function or is it just an aesthetic thing that can be corrected by adjusting the case and regardless of whether the internal working are slightly out of true the boilers function will not be affected.
Are there tolerances for this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
You've not said what boiler you have, some would be affected more than others by this, but it shows a poor attention to detail from the installer and makes you wonder what else they didn't do too well

That’s what worries me, they have said it’s just the casing but I’m not so sure. They are coming back to sort it and I’ll be there this time, not paying until it’s done right, the boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000, I’ve sent an email to Worcester Bosch regarding the fitting as I don’t want this issue to void any warranties. Are there any technical documents re installation online as I can’t get back to the flat just yet and would like to gen up on any specific details on this issue.

If the casing hasn't been fitted correctly then that's a safety issue, as the casing forms the room seal that prevents carbon monoxide being leaked into the home, so definitely don't be fobbed off by "it's just the casing" excuses

Sponsored Links
If the casing hasn't been fitted correctly then that's a safety issue, as the casing forms the room seal that prevents carbon monoxide being leaked into the home, so definitely don't be fobbed off by "it's just the casing" excuses
That's interesting. Looking at the the appliance casing fitting instructions it would appear to be just sliding fit side panels, with push fit top and bottom panels and the front panel semi hinged into position and secured with a screw for electrical safety. Cannot see that being an effective barrier against carbon monoxide gases although it would prevent exposure to hot surfaces and electrical wiring
Screenshot (702).png

Actually you might be right with that one, I've only ever seen one and I'd forgotten it had an inner casing

It will not affect the correct working of the appliance in anyway

My last but one boiler was installed 3/8" out of true and the condensate drain not finished correctly, whilst I was out at work. The installer had driven 100 miles here and 100 miles back home (perhaps on a horse) to do the obviously rushed job. I insisted he come back and sort it out properly.

For my last boiler install, I made sure the installer was a local one.

i had same issue with a boiler install - it was slightly off square , and as mentioned above a lot of the other work turned out to be substandard and we had to replace the boiler after just 4 years !!!!!
  1. Flu split onto the pavement and not back via condensate, and was angled wrong
  2. The filling pipe taps broken ,
  3. The main water pipe fitting came undone and leaked overnight causing a massive flood,
  4. Condensate was leaking from the flu back into the main part of boiler and down the internal wall onto some books, we did not notice until we needed one of the books and it was wet
  5. The gas main used was kept at 15mm and when we had the new boiler , it should have been 22mm when they tested , which was a very simple replacement , as the house was floorboards and just needed to be replace to a join, near by, took the new guy no time to sort that part out.
I had the original guy fix 1 and 2 , but he had long gone off the scene after that.

The gas main used was kept at 15mm and when we had the new boiler , it should have been 22mm when they tested , which was a very simple replacement , as the house was floorboards and just needed to be replace to a join, near by, took the new guy no time to sort that part out.

The opposite here - the guy was insisting a near like for like system would need the 15mm entirely replaced with 22mm run ugly, round the outside of the house and completely unnecessary and at extra cost. It ended in me studying how to do the pipe calcs for him and proving the existing supply was more than adequate, without needing replacement.

Nothing attributable to him, but the boiler gave so many problems over the years, it was eventually replaced at 8 years old. The last straw being plastic internal fan wiring melting, where it ran up behind the boiler's heat exchanger to the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back