Boiler overheating when first firing up in the morning

Jasper, fail to see why pump should be difficult to change.
If your man had difficulty changing this pump that has a radial clearance a black mamba enjoys in the bush, would hate to think what his suffering would be if encountering a pump in a difficult position

Glad to hear you have found the cause

Sponsored Links
I think the problem he had was everything was seized up and being at the back of the airing cupboard made access difficult. May be I should be more confident in my abilities :)

I have just emailed Grundfos to see if the pump is under warranty (they seem to be offering a 5 year one now), it has a manufacturing code of 1213 which I assume means it was made at the end of 2012 although I don't have any proof of purchase so I am not that hopeful but it is definitely worth a try.

DSCF9842.JPG

That we'll be week 13 of 2012 so it's probably just outside that.

Very interesting Tony
What was the rare fault
Did you identify this rare fault before the boiler was returned, did the makers inform you what this rare fault was, or was it you who told the manufacturers what this rare fault was
How can something be rare if it has occurred three times:mad:

This rare fault is off topic from this thread being a different make and model.

Since it is gas related I could not mention it in the open forum.

I classed it as rare because it only occurred about eight times out of a sample of about 100,000 boilers.

Someone else had returned a boiler and the makers were able to tell me what was causing it although I still don't know why as I have not tested the parts concerned.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the pump is fitted with the head in the correct orientation as per in the instructions as condensation builds up and they fail, it may dry off if the cover was removed and a hairdryer used just a chance.

Mark

I classed it as rare because it only occurred about eight times out of a sample of about 100,000 boilers.

Someone else had returned a boiler and the makers were able to tell me what was causing it although I still don't know why as I have not tested the parts concerned.
Awfully sorry old chap to try and rain on your parade but I rather believe you are talking your usual Drivel in my opinion. I will try and be as polite as possible and make sure there is no abuse, as we would not want to upset the mods.

========================
Appreciated;). Mod Plod
========================

Please could you inform us of how you have come to the conclusion that only 8 faults of this type have been encountered. Do you have access to the gas safe register and speak to every registered engineer. I think not due to the fact you did not ring myself.
Maybe you have access to every boiler part that has been sold, but I think that is unlikely too.
Personally I think that you must have consulted your crystal ball to be able to make such a statement, or it might have been something that you thought of at a time shortly before eating your weetabix.

Last edited by a moderator:

you make some crazy statements sometimes especially when us engineers are doing this day in day out of which are looking in ;) . maybe you could enlighten us within the CC then maybe we might be able to tell you that your 8 times is flawed my friend . if your suggestion is credible i will personally take my suspicions back ;)(y) after all its all about learning from others

@AGAS surely you have worked out by now that all manufacturers have him on speed dial, in case their own incompetent, inexperienced engineers and R&D departments cant find the fault, there is more chance of my son doing the housework than there is of him posting the answer in the CC

All of the last few comments are off topic and of no help to the OP on this thread.

You seem to be questioning my judgement on this rare fault.

Perhaps you cannot guess that they were all dealt with under the warranty and int eh first few weeks of boiler operation? And that I was privy to the scenario.

=
=

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the fact that the majority of your posts lack the clear technical knowledge as shown from other qualified engineers, then yes I do question your judgement on your fault that is so rare it only happened in less than 0.01% of boilers.
As in the words of Donald Trump your showboating old chap, and trying to put across that your abilities are better than what I think they actually are.

Make sure the pump is fitted with the head in the correct orientation as per in the instructions as condensation builds up and they fail, it may dry off if the cover was removed and a hairdryer used just a chance.

Mark

Is that a well established problem when the head is fitted wrongly like this that moisture somehow gets into the electronics?

I have not encountered any like this before and even if I did then I would rotate them anyway!

Yes I've had the problem a few times with the grunny Alfa's and the larger commercial pumps we used to use on biomass systems. The instruction do tell you that the head has to be correct.

Maybe you would like to share this experience in the CC. As its a closed forum of professionals discussing gas matters would be interesting.

Just a quick update;

I emailed Grundfos over the weekend with the symptoms and they got back to me at 8:45am with a reply (impressive customer service) saying that it is not a problem they are aware of but probably something gone wrong with the controller and the pump almost certainly needs to be changed and give me the model number to get. Unfortunately their 5 year warranty deal didn't start until 2014 so (as I suspected) it is out of warranty.

Anyway a 5 minute walk to my local Screwfix and £114 got me a new pump and 30 minutes later it is fitted and working.

Let's hope this is the end of the problem.

Thanks for all the advice and the suggestion I just swap it myself, it really was very straight forward.

Last edited:
Maybe you would like to share this experience in the CC. As its a closed forum of professionals discussing gas matters would be interesting.
There is not a miniscule chance of that happening, as he knows he will be sussed in seconds by the professionals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back