Boiler overheats in DHW mode (can't keep output at constant level, see video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Vaillant ecotec 637 plus, S-plan external cylinder, eBus control.

When in DHW mode the boiler acts weirdly as in it goes full on for ~5 seconds then minimum output for ~5 seconds and this forever until it stops.

It's shooting for 75 degrees and with the behaviour of full on / full off will have the water between 72 (when at minimum output for 5 seconds) and 79 (when going on strongly for 5 seconds).

Sometimes it overshoots and will go in anti-cycling mode with S.28 code (I suspect it is when it hits 80 degrees which is 5 degrees above the setting of 75, but that is a guess). Also when it cycles it only stops for 1 minutes and starts again, whilst an overshoot in CH mode will keep it off for 5 minutes or more.

Settings:
- D.78 (DHW max flow temp): 75 degrees
- D.77 (DHW partial load): 37 kw (note it's not possible to select "auto" like for the CH version of this setting which is D.0)
- Return water is around 67 / 69 degrees.
- Pump is on a set setting I think it puts it at 70% when in DHW.
- Finally D.07 (Cylinder temperature target value) and D.06 (Outlet temperature target value) do not go about 40 degrees. I can control it from my app from 30 to 40 degree by degree and it will change on the boiler display, but anything above 40 will stay at 40 on the boiler display.

Why is it not simply keeping a constant output to stay around a DHW flow temp of ~75 degrees (just like the CH does, with a target of ~65)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Boiler's overheating when cylinder is calling - possible blockage through the HW primaries or through the coil, could also be an airlock.

Presume it's not heating the HW up properly? Go to the 2 port that's supplies the cylinder and manually lock it open, does the pipework out of the 2 port and into the cylinder heat up?

Hi Madrab, actually the DHW valve opens as expected, primary and return flow pipes do heat up and I do get hot water. It's more the way the boiler is operating which I find a little weird.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back