Boiler Presure at 3 bar and leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning when I got up I noticed there was water leaking from my Ideal Response 120 Combi Boiler. The Pressure was at 3 Bar.
I drained some water from one of the raidiators to reduce the presure to 1 Bar.
After taking the boiler front cover off I found a lot of water inside the boiler and it's continuing to drip from the Fan Assembly which seems to have a lot of water inside it !
Other than calling out a plumber has anyone got any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

But what should I check ?
Is there anything specific I need to look out for ?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear.
Call out Ideal and when they tell you the boiler is history, moan like hell.

Thanks

Last time I buy anything from Ideal
Anyone need any spare parts ?
:evil:

Maybe all is not lost

We contacted a plumber through a friend of ours who came round to have a look. He has drained the water out of the fan assembly and has got the heating working :)

But we haven't dared use the hot water in case it all goes horribly wrong.

A question
Given that the Ideal Response has a max working pressure of 3 Bar before it is supposed to release the pressure by itself. Could the leak into the fan assembly be a symptom of the boiler being fitted badly by a bunch of cowboys rather than the heat exchanger being split :?:

I guess if fitted properly any water expelled through pressure release should be expelled outside

No, and Yes, I'm afraid.
For such an expensive fault you could have a go at Ideal quoting the sale of goods act - a h/e should last more than 18 months. They're expensive and pretty hard to replace.

I just thought I'd look it up.

****!
Like I mean **** mother of ****ing ****!

rrp £688.25
+ vat.
=
£808.69

While the heat exchanger will be dry when running, it will be wet when off. As a result it may not fire until dried again. Boiler should withstand 3 bar pressure no questions asked.

Thanks everyone for their responses

But there are still a few questions that it would be really useful if someone knows the answer.

The Boiler Manual states that there is a "Saftey Valve ; with a non-adjustable pre-set lift pressure of 3 Bar"

Given that my Boiler was running at 3 Bar, this point could have been reached. Is it possible the expelled water was expelled to the wrong place ie the Fan Assembly ?

If the H/E is split as suggested, wouldn't the pressure fall to zero and stay there ? Currently it's at a healthy 0.75.

With a split H/E, is is possible to have working CH but no HW ?

Here's hoping for an answer I want to hear.

Agree with your thinking Dano7, if you have a leak the pressure will drop to zero and stay there until topped up.

I would look at the flue attitude, is it running back towards the boiler, and could driving rain have entered the flue

BDL said:
Not wishing to sound negative. But the only way water can enter the fan is via the heat exch. The fan is attached to the burner, the water leaks from the heat exchanger thru burner into fan.
If you get the burner removed you will see the water marks on the burner/probes.
It could be rain water from the flue, but this would cause water to leak thru the air intake as well and water would be evident on the outside wrap of the heat exch.
If you need a heat exch. I know a place that stocks them at reasonable cost.
Between 1 and 2 hrs to replace one.

why no pressure drop unless the filling loop is connected :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back