Boiler Presure at 3 bar and leaking

BDL said:
Not wishing to sound negative. But the only way water can enter the fan is via the heat exch. The fan is attached to the burner, the water leaks from the heat exchanger thru burner into fan.
If you get the burner removed you will see the water marks on the burner/probes.
It could be rain water from the flue, but this would cause water to leak thru the air intake as well and water would be evident on the outside wrap of the heat exch.
If you need a heat exch. I know a place that stocks them at reasonable cost.
Between 1 and 2 hrs to replace one.

Wrong, it can enter through the flue if there is a fall back into the boiler, last year I came down one morning to find water dripping out of the boiler, I thought the H/E had gone. But above the flue was an overflow from the toilet that had been running all night & was running over the flue & into the fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all again,

I live in a flat, there are 2 floors above with with outflows that I guess could have been dripping on the flu outlet, but it would have to have quite a heafty drip !

I see from their web site ideal don't sell the Response 120 any more, I also found a note on another web site with someone saying it was withdrawn as it keeps on breaking down. Something to do with the 120 being a small boiler that creates a lot of heat that can cause the the HE to crack.

Anyone know about this ?
It might a stick to hit Ideal with !

Failing that can anyone suggest a cheap and reliable source of an H/E

Sponsored Links
BDL said:
OK guys you carry on!
I will at this present moment say I am wrong.
Of course you can have leaking toilets etc above boiler. This will cause water in the fan assy.

I will watch this thread develop, but from changing quite alot of Resp Ht exch's. I still stand by my statement.

Do It ALL IT IS A TUBE IN TUBE HT EXCH. Very little pressure loss will be seen unless chtg circuit is leaking.

Im well aware of what it is and any leak will show on the gauge.

from the bottom up, you have the fan assembly, the flame sensing and ignition electrodes, the main burner, flue outlet elbow with fluepipe to outside, horizontal rain that we have been having of late could quite easily drive into the flue and end up in the fan assemble.

without see the boiler my suggestions are sound, he poster should also say if the problem has gone/goes away with no rain.

But then being an Ideal you could be right. :LOL:

Monday Morning same thing again....water leaking out of the boiler and water in the fan assembly.

So the H/E is ****** then

If anyone does know of other instances where this has happened with Ideal boilers that might be useful

And if anyone can recommend a place to get spare parts that would be useful too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back