Boiler problems after fitting trv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

fitted trvs to all but 1 of my rads in my bungalow today, but after refilling system, bleeding rads and switching on boiler, the boiler goes into overheat and seems by sounds to be boiling, I have reduced the boiler temp from 3/4 max to now minimum this has helped a touch but to only boil up a bit later, all rads get banging hot and each time i go to bleed after an hour or so i get some but only minimum air out. Header tank in loft is full of water and no steam coming out of other pipe either. Could I have an air lock? and if so what is the best way to get rid? cannot use hose method under rads as the drains just dribbled out until i took the drain valve out all together with bowl inderneath. your help will be appreciated

Degs

Sponsored Links
You have an airlock in the primaries

beeeatch of a job try leaving it over night see if it clears itself, it sometimes does

and if not then lets us know

loads of things that can be tried sure the other lads will enlighten u

Thanks corgiman,

Up in the loft I see 2 pipes sticking up with screw tops on (would use a screwdriver to release) attatched to CH system, tried to release them but they were very hard to say the least. so did not try other methods (molegips) incase i should not open them...............would they help my situ?

yes they are vents

try and get them undone but be careful if the washer is stuck to the vent the only to sort them is undo the top totally and pull em off, then you get very wet and very very hot ;)

bet you wished you decided against a TRV now ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Corgiman.............when you say airlock in primaries what does that mean.............is it a good idea if it doesn't sort itself out to switch off CH and undo 1 x drain say kitchen and keep water draining until a few gallons have come thru...........would that sort it............

Degs

degsy b said:
Thanks corgiman,

Up in the loft I see 2 pipes sticking up with screw tops on (would use a screwdriver to release) attatched to CH system, tried to release them but they were very hard to say the least. so did not try other methods (molegips) incase i should not open them...............would they help my situ?

i use pliers to get them open.

be careful though.....if you mess up the edge where it seals against the washer.....it wont lol

Thanks Nickso
by opening them up will that release the air from the "primaries"???????????

Degs

it could if thats where it is trapped. just turn until you hear air or see water coming out.....dont remove it too far...theres not much thread on them.

sometimes needs a fair bit of messing around and some experience to clear a bad lock though

the only way of clearing the air lock is as mentioned in my reply to corgiman a few posts above this............... do you think that may help.......

Degs?

Sorry if my mind has seemed to have gone astray...............do mean manual vents as in radiator bleeds or by those 2 x screcap things in loft????

Cheers

Degs

Thanks Nickso.............will do.........................and if water comes out of them..............would you suggest my thought of draining 1 x rad of a few gallons without switching any other rads off would help - also would you recommend boiler on or off (to allow pump flow)for draining of 1 x rad of few gallons

you could try it i suppose but try to force the water/air through one rad....sometimes a good way to clear it.

Thanks again Nickso,

Got to admit a bit nervous to say the least on trying to release those two screwcap things espec when ya say not much thread on them and also if the seal goes water everwhere.................argh.................so looking for easier options i suppose

Degs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back