boiler programmer type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys can anyone tell me the difference between single channel and dual channel programmers and can you replace a mechanical timer with a digital one

Sponsored Links
Channel 1 = Hot water
Channel 2 = central heating

or vice versa

Also yes you can change mechanical timer for a digital one if you can figure out the wiring.

To help you more we would need details of existing and proposed boiler and controls

the timer i have is a towerchron T2002 mechanical timer, i can have it on timer or continuous and i can either have the hot water on or the hot water and central heating on.

i want to buy a replacement but im not sure about getting the right model ect, dont really understand if the unit i have is single channel or dual channel.

would i be right in thinking the system i have is a gravity boiler then

Sponsored Links
Single channel would be used for a combi boiler where it controls the central heating only. Hot water is heated on demand, time control is irrelevant.

Dual channel is for heat only boilers, where HW is stored, and gives the end user more options, depending on the system. With a gravity HW system then CH cannot be used independantly of the HW, however with a "C, Y or S" plan system then there is additional control over HW timings.

From your description it sounds like a gravity HW/pumped CH system. Therefore you will need a dual channel programmer, and set it for a gravity HW system. The Siemens RWB 29 is an example that would suffice for your requirements.

Many thanks hugh, i will pop down to suppliers 2morrow and get a dual channel programmer and give it a bash.

All the best and merry xmas mate..

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back