Boiler Pump packed in (Sludge in raditors ?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i am new here.
i have a conventional boiler system : (Ideal W2000) it is quite an old bolier and the pump has been making noises for the past 6 months.
we eventually decided to get a combi bolier last week (Vaillant Ecotec 28 Pro) and it will be installed in 10 days time.

Ironically the day i booked the job, my pump boiler pump finally gave up,
i came home and there was a terrible rattling noise from the pump and one radiator (closest to the boiler), there was also a slight burning smell coming from the boiler room, possibly from the pump.

I was concerned so turned off the central heating and the pump stopped, i checked again last night and the same thing was happening.

After searching on the internet all day i think the problem may be, sludge build up in the central heating system (the radiator closest to the boiler has been going hot & cold for the past year and making noises so this could be the problem.

The plumbing company are coming next week to do a chemical treatment to the system before the new installation.

can anyone confirm that they think i am correct with what is wrong ?
will the chemical treatment work even though the central heating is off.
i have to contend with no hearing for 10 days before my new system is in.
or...........
can anyone suggest a temporary measure to get my heating back on in the meantime ?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
the motto of the story is NOT and I mean NOT to leave things that are making noises, something such as your boiler boiler which you and only you rely on, to then pack up over Xmas which is a holiday for most of the world ;)
aside replacing the pump there won't be much you can do I'm afraid mate. re the flushing, it works fine cold but works quicker if warm . If it's cold, it's not the end of the world

Blow heater in house already. Well prepared on that side :D

My main concern was
Will the chemical flush work in the system when there is no heat operating in the central heating system (radiators)

Let's hope it works ok

And yes I know I should have got this seen to a while back but it ain't exactly cheap as we all know.

Sponsored Links
the company doing the works etc should sort out all the cleaning/flushing with the right machine/equipment especially taking out that boiler and putting in a band A one.

Are you installing a new pump before they come, or have you advised them that one will be needed? Swapping it yourself might be cheaper and would get you going over the holiday.

(Check pump prices at merchants--not B&Q)

You need to tell the company that your heating is broken as it sounds like they want to introduce some chemical cleaners to your original system and leave it running.

Can you remove the pump and check it? You might get away with a good clean of the impeller etc...

the pump will be removed when my new system comes as the combi boiler i am getting has an internal pump, therefore the broken one is no longer required.

i think i will call the company now and tell them the pump is goosed and leave it with them to decide what action to take.

thanks for all the replies :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back