boiler question (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry, just following up on my last post about my boiler.

AS I've been speaking to some Corgi engineers and getting prices in the region of £2-2.5K to replace mine, I though maybe its worth seeing if we can get it repaired. Just looking for some advice on if it sounds like a common or fixable problem.

Not sure what model it is, but its a fairly old vailiant boiler. The problem is that it seems particulary on cold days, that the flow of gas in the heat exchange (at least the area I can see in the glass window) is restricted.

Normally, when you run hot water or turn the heating on, the rows of flames behind the pilot light ignite and burn really tall and fiercely. However, lately, it sometimes just doesn't come on. Instead, all the rows of flames, just get a very small blue flame on them and it doesn't increase. It slowly raises the temperature, but for some reason won't fully ignite.

Usually, it will sort itself out, but it can take hours, up to 12 hours on Saturday before it decides it wants to sort itself.

Does that description make sense or sound common?

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong or if it is fixable?

Sponsored Links
Ahh, I'm guessing thats a model number? I have no idea, other than that it is a very large combi boiler with a picture of a rabit on the front!

anyone got any ideas on whether its fixable? I'm dreading the cost of replacing, but hey ho...I guess if I gotta.... I gotta

Sponsored Links
If it's got a pilot light it's probably a T3W, possible sine 18 (what sort of flue does it have? And what does the control panel look like?). Typical problem on those is wax capsule failing, can't remember symptoms off hand. Wax capsules are available and fitting is fairly straight forward. A search on this forum for T3W and sine 18 might be fruitful.

hi guys, thanks for the replies....

as you guessed, its a VCW sine 18 TW3 H

are parts for this still readily available? The plate that I got that model number from says 'Made in West Germany' :eek:

I dread to think how old this thing is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back