Boiler recommendation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need a new boiler. I did manage to fix the divertor valve on my old Worcester, but now something else has gone wrong. Given that it's undersized, and has a leak, I figure it's finally time to put it to rest.

So, my friendly installer recommends either the Vaillant 831 or 837.

Cold water flow will be no problem. I recently had the mains lead replaced, and we have 32mm (IIRC) coming into the property, and 22mm to the boiler. If I turn the kitchen cold tap on full, I get soaked!

To give an idea of my house, I have 15 rads, of which 4 are smallish towel rails, but the rest are normall-ish sized radiators (I can measure if really relevant).

My minimum requirement is to be able to have a shower without it cutting out when the hot tap is run (as it does at the moment). Running two showers would be heaven, but I accept it's pretty unlikely.

To put an idea on my expectations regarding the shower, measured with a weir cup we get about 8l/m out of the current boiler, so I suppose running a tap and leaving enough HW to maintain 7 or 8l/m would probably be fine. (right now, turning on the kitchen tap virtually stops the shower running)

Finally, I don't want to spend more than I need to, or worse, have an inefficient heating system due to the boiler cutting in and out the whole time, so please help me, would an 831 or an 837 be a better option?

Thanks,

Leon

Sponsored Links
837 rather than 831 for a combi, if your installer has unvented on his abilities the yes an unvented cylinder and a 637 system would be better. less to go wrong last you longer,and cylinders are rapid recovery.

I'd much rather get away from the combi boiler, but it's not practical. At some point in history a combi was fitted, and there isn't any obvious place to fit a cylinder anymore.

having said that, I can think of one place it just might work....

plumbing wise, is it a lot of plumbing that needs to change, or is it a loop to the cylinder (for heating water) , and connecting the back into where the hot water used to leave the boiler? Sorry, if this is dumb, just thinking out loud...

Sponsored Links
I would lso go for an UV cylinder and Vaillant system boiler, a 637 would probably be over kill though, I can't see you needing anything like 37kw from the boiler.

The uv cylinder needs to be linked to boiler for supplying it with hot water, that means flow and return and motorised valves as in a Y system. The system boiler would do the air venting so that makes that bit easy. Bucket loads of hot water and the rapid recovery cylinder will re-heat in 20 mins from cold. instead 1.25hrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back