Boiler Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a few recommendations (based on experience etc) for a new Oil Fired Boiler for my House. I have recently moved in to the house (4 Bed) and even though the heating is on The House is Baltic!!

I suspect that the problem is down to A) the size of the Boiler (20KW) B) the type of Radiators (Single panel, old steel pressed type)

To give you an idea of my despair, it takes over an hour and half for the Radiators to get hot Although not too hot to touch (I can even hold the pipes without issue) and the boiler can't even get the Hallway up to 18degC because it never shuts off when on. (Stat is new by the way and is tested)

So I am resigned to the fact I need a new Boiler & Rads. I have a total of 18 Radiators and of course my Hot Water Tank to heat. There are 3 Bathrooms in the house too.

So what kind of heating System / Boiler would you recommend for a man with no Gas (Oil).

Many Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hounsfield oil boiler, and rads sized to properly cope with demand. Radiators shouldn't be very very hot, that's inefficient, but they should of course heat your home effectively. Also look at increasing insulation if possible

Tanks for the reply muggles,

The insulation probably isn't the best, although it does appear to have had Cavity Wall, and there is loft insulation (could be better though). I came from an old 1800's house which had no Cavity insualtion and whilst it wasn't the hottest house in the world, it was warmer than this place (which is 1970's) That place was a Gas fired combi.

Is there any reason why you think Hounsfield? Would you say a combi or other type of system?

I say Hounsfield because I believe they're the best available. I'm buying a house at the moment that needs a new oil boiler, and it'll be a Hounsfield going into there.

You need a regular boiler - no combi in the world will run three bathrooms simultaneously, you can only really have one or two hot outlets running off a combi at any one time.

Sponsored Links
I say Hounsfield because I believe they're the best available.
It may be a very good product, but will the company be there in five year, let alone 10?

Check out their financial position and you will see that it's not very good.

There is a five year warranty. Is this just a Manufacturer's warranty or is it backed by an insurance policy in case the firm goes to the wall?

etc. etc.

It may be a very good product, but will the company be there in five year, let alone 10?

There is a five year warranty. Is this just a Manufacturer's warranty or is it backed by an insurance policy in case the firm goes to the wall?

etc. etc.

:eek: blimey, that's not too special. Andrew Hounsfield is on the forum here so he might come along and comment on this.... That is 2013's accounts though so it might have picked up as more people start using them

Do a proper heat calculation of the house before changing the boiler.

Is the boiler rated at its highest output?

Insulate everything to currents regs then more.

Have you had your boiler serviced? It may have an old nozzle and not be generating the actual heat it should.

Have you taken any water samples from the system; it may be sludged up and not carrying the water effectively. A dose of X400 might cleanse the crud from the system.

Lastly, if you do decide to buy a new boiler, I would recommend a Grant Vortex Pro.

A heating system is designed to raise the temperature by a max 0f 21°C. If it is -3° outside the house will only get to 18°. Good luck it is chilly at the moment.

Let’s consider the “bigger picture” to the points that LD raised above.

My “introduction” into the domestic oil boiler business was with Boulter (Camray) Boilers – considered by many to be the “Rolls Royce” of the domestic boiler market. Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances the business “ran out of money” when their bank pulled the plug; I was subsequently employed in 1985 as general manager by one of their creditors who purchased the business “a make or break” opportunity for me. By 1989 Boulter were the 40th fastest growing privately owned U/K business similarly my time at HRM Boilers saw considerable growth, I left when the owner wanted his sons to take over my responsibilities as M.D.

Consider what’s happened to the market in recent years:

The Boulter/ Camray brand – once a market leader, sadly a victim of its own success, being sold to generate income for an ailing “engineering group” it became part of. A few changes of ownership later, the Boulter / Camray brand has all but disappeared since being taken over by Worcester Bosch. Trianco, Grandee have undergone various reincarnations, Aquaflame, Merlin & a few others fallen by the way side – size & brand is no guarantor of being here tomorrow.

Warranty period – there are many oil fired boilers out there 20+years old, a testament to the fact that in simple terms their heat exchange's are steel fabricated boxes. Follow tried & tested boiler engineering principles & you don’t get problems, all other components, in our case are “industry standard”.

You know product failure, whether manufacturer, installation or installer caused, in or out of warranty period, is from my perspective an opportunity to create “good will”. Yet you’ll see businesses spend fortunes on marketing, advertising, sales reps ect. only to lose / upset customers through a rigid stance on warranty issues. Consider:

A while ago a somewhat “distressed” home owner contacted us, his wife days away from giving birth. Their boiler was leaking & being a combi they had no hot water or heating. The boiler was just a few weeks over the 5yr warranty period, the manufacturer wouldn't replace it. The leak was due to a welding imperfection, a manufacturing fault; we temporarily repaired the boiler to allow them time to install a pressurised DHW system.

We have two failed boilers in our workshop, both from “established brands”, only 6 & 8 years old; many experienced boiler service engineers & installers out there could, and probably have identified design issues that resulted in their failure. As is so often the case though what seems like arrogance “sets in” with some organisations, it becomes difficult to speak with the people that make decisions; it seems they stop listening!

So what’s the difference with Hounsfield Boilers? Well there’s certainly no “arrogance”, tenacity perhaps, and a belief that what customers actually want is “value for money” product designed with consideration given to “life time” running costs, not products built down to a cost with design compromise and high ongoing maintenance costs, as “Muggles” comments testify, engineers appreciate the difference!

Think of a number and then think again, the investment involved in developing / launching new product is substantial. In my case self financed, liabilities substantially mine; no banks involved, & considerably reduced thanks to word-of-mouth sales. With a range of wall mounted boilers on the horizon they may well increase.

To find out more about those “tangible” elements that differentiate Hounsfield Boilers please email us or check the web site.

Andrew, welcome to the forum, it's goods to have guys like you here.
A well respected fellow forum member local to me has recommended your boilers, is there any on display anywhere I could have a look at?
Cheers. Rich

etc. etc.

I think this is grossly unfair & niave to say the least. Anyone who has been in business knows that with set-up costs etc there will be a break-even point for any company. To highlight a companies formative financial statement & put it in the public domain is wrong.
Goodn luck to you Andrew, God knows we need a good oil boiler manufacturer in this country!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back