Boiler repair - Fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping that one of you lovely experts can help. My boiler is a potterton suprima 50l (with the new PCB 5111603). It only comes on every now and again (I think when it's fully cold) and then cuts off after a couple of hours or so. The light is flashing Orange/Green which in the manual says it's "AirProving & Ignition". I've had a look round, but can't really find anything on this

Could someone please shed some light on this problem for us???

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
There is a fault with the ignition process, most probably due to an air proving fault.

Unfortunately you will need to take the boiler apart to carry out the majority of tests and as this is a gas critical process then it isn't a diy job and as such we don't give out information regarding this.

You will need to call an Registered Gas Engineer to diagnose your fault.

Jon

Thanks Aquaheat, I just want to make sure I have an idea so we don't run the risk of getting ripped off (sorry watch too much rogue traders etc) and I know by looking at tonnes of other threads you guys are genuine.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Cold Mum, whilst you seem to expect to get ripped off which is not a very encouraging attitude, you can either call British Gas who you might trust although we know that their charges are likely to be higher.

Or you could call a local independent and ask him about his charges BEFORE he comes.

But take a moment to feel sorry for one of the engineers who gives advice on here for free.

He went as agreed this morning to fit a new Intergas boiler only to be told on the doorstep that the customer had changed his mind and was getting someone else to fit a Worcester boiler. So he spent a wasted day at home instead.

Tony

I apologise guys I did not mean to cause offence, I did state that I do believe that you guys on here are genuine. You give up your time to help others for free which I think is great.

I do understand how customers can be, having a company in the construction industry.

I certainly wouldn't trust BG, all they've done in the past is say that we need a new boiler as ours is over 10 years old.

I don't expect to get ripped off as I know most guys are decent out there, I just wanted a bit of knowledge just incase as I do have that kind of luck to pick the one cowboy out of a million legits.

Once again I'm sorry if I upset anyone and thank you guys for your advice

We don't know where you live. Perhaps in a part of the country known for rip off merchants? I cannot think of any for the moment though.

With contacts in the construction industry you should not have difficulty to find a competent engineer.

Alternatively ask neighbours!

Even give your postcode and perhaps someone here might offer.

Tony

Hi

Thank again. Just got it sorted, found a local gent with good reviews (via facebook). He came and after a couple of tests gave some parts a good clean and so far so good.

I cannot think of what those might be apart from the insulators on the ignition and flame sensing electrodes.

Hope he did not charge you much more than £84

Tony

Hi

Thank again. Just got it sorted, found a local gent with good reviews (via facebook). He came and after a couple of tests gave some parts a good clean and so far so good.

Well done colmum. Facebook work like a charm. Local mums have me as their heating engineer of choice too(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back