Boiler serviced - now firing for very short periods (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had my Ideal Elan serviced just before New Year and since then it has developed a fault (I think). Now it fires many times but only for a max of about 20 seconds each time. Towards the end of the firing time there is a whistling / wind sound and then the boiler shuts down. For example it fired 19 times in just under 20 minutes the other morning.
Since then, I have completely drained the system and refilled (added some Fernox as well). It seems to be getting slightly better now but a bit worrying.

The company 'gasinsafehands.co.uk' have washed their hands of it, saying I should call Ideal myself.

Something to worry about?

Thanks,
Oscar

Sponsored Links
By your discription I would strongly suspect that the combustion chamber door has not been replaced correctly following the service and is leaking.
If so this needs urgent attention and should be checked by a RGI or those who serviced it.

have you checked the pump?
Yes - I bled the pump on the refill and all radiators are hot (and H/W) but boiler just firing and shutting down a lot.

I would strongly suspect that the combustion chamber door has not been replaced correctly
Is this something I would be able to check myself with a visual only check?

I am well aware of not wanting to / or being able to do anything other than look!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By your discription I would strongly suspect that the combustion chamber door has not been replaced correctly following the service and is leaking.
If so this needs urgent attention and should be checked by a RGI or those who serviced it.
If this were the case, the op should call gas safe register and tell them he has been warned of potential danger

It seems highly irresponsible for the firm that serviced it not to at least check it for safety.

You should check it or get it checked and take photographs and then report that firm to Gas Safe. You need an engineer who is prepared to write a statement for Gas Safe, that could just be on the invoice.

Tony

Thanks for the comments so far. I have spoken to the company again and after a lot of delays they promise to talk to the engineer who did the service tomorrow. Hopefully he will be back to check it out.

Whipped the cover off tonight and took some photos.
Any use?

GALLERY]

Ps: I know Delia is a bit close (top left) but she is out of the way when the cover is on.

Oh dear you have removed the cover! there is no way you can pin antything on your service co now cos you have destroyed the only evidence you might have had!! :rolleyes:

there is no way you can pin antything on your service co now
Possibly but I am much more concerned with getting the problem sorted.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

why would anyone want to drag folk across the coals bet your the type who goes round dropping folk init or telling the teacher.

I bet he's the one who reported a helpful motorist who flashed him as he approached a speed trap!!

what temperature are you getting on the flow pipe of your furthest away radiatior.highest temperature please.
your boiler should have history regarding annunal service visits so i reccomend you find these.

Its exactly "that cover" which you so quickly "whipped off" that we suspect was not properly fitted to the boiler.

You have destroyed the evidence that the cover was not properly fitted.

You also now need an RGI to refit it correctly for you. That should be a chargeable job as a further visit is required following your actions in opening the boiler which only an RGI should do.

Those photos tell us nothing about the boiler ( but perhaps something about you? ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back