Boiler shuts off when toilet is flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas why this is happening?

Its not always happened, only started recently but it's a pain having to wait for the toilet to refill before you can wash you hands in warm water! :eek:

Not too well up on heating systems but i've checked the pressure and its at about 1.5 bar, after that im not sure what else to check!

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Persume its a combi you got, it looks like you have poor incoming pressure, so when using mains water the combi can only supply one out let.

I have even seen toilet cisterns connected to the hot water supply!

Yeah, its a Ravenheat combi but surely if it was connected to the hot supply it would have always been like this?
Is it possible the pressure could have dropped suddenly and if it is, any ideas what could have caused it / how to fix it?
Thanks for the speedy replies btw! :)

Sponsored Links
I think lightning means that if the cold water from the main is going into the WC cistern, there is insufficient flow remaining for the boiler, which therefore won't fire.

Things worth trying:

a. Make sure mains cold water stop tap is fully open (then back 1/4 turn).
b. You could try slowing the flow to the WC by partially closing the isolator valve to its inlet (if there is one) or by fitting a high pressure restrictor (depending on type).

I have a job to do this month - WC connected to the hot water system in a five year old 750K flat. All pipework boxed in with what looks like porcelain tiles. WC is a guest one so rarely used. Cistern fills with hot water, water goes cold, flush as normal. Two flushes in quick succession gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "hot flush".

I think lightning means that if the cold water from the main is going into the WC cistern, there is insufficient flow remaining for the boiler, which therefore won't fire.

Things worth trying:

a. Make sure mains cold water stop tap is fully open (then back 1/4 turn).
b. You could try slowing the flow to the WC by partially closing the isolator valve to its inlet (if there is one) or by fitting a high pressure restrictor (depending on type).

I have a job to do this month - WC connected to the hot water system in a five year old 750K flat. All pipework boxed in with what looks like porcelain tiles. WC is a guest one so rarely used. Cistern fills with hot water, water goes cold, flush as normal. Two flushes in quick succession gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "hot flush".

Spot on mate that is what i mean't .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back