Boiler starting up every evening

With all due respect, I would suggest you hire a heating engineer, with a good electrical knowlege

Sponsored Links
We have one, just below the pump, looks like its got a on/off type switch on the bottom.

With all due respect, I would suggest you hire a heating engineer, with a good electrical knowlege

Yes we probably will, hasn't really been a major problem, its been the same since we moved in 4 years ago but just wondered what causes it!

word of comfort if I may

My boiler is a 22 year old Apollo. On which Ive spent £30 on 2 parts, and is still giving stirling service. Don't be persuaded to get rid of it
Good luck

Sponsored Links
yes 3 pipes
The problem could be either a faulty valve actuator - that's the metal box on the top - or a faulty gas valve.

When you next have the problem (tonight :LOL: ), switch the hot water ON at the timer and see if the boiler turns off. If it doesn't, turn the hot water thermostat down to minimum and check again.

The metal lever on the side of the valve is not a switch; it is used to lock the valve open when the heating system is filled.

I managed to check this last night, as it's actually happening at 12.30am

The boiler switches on, I turned the High/Low temperature switch to off and the boiler turned off. It went back on again when I set it high/low. Then after a while the boiler switched off and the pump upstairs just keeps running all night.

Do you have ideas? thanks

I managed to check this last night, as it's actually happening at 12.30am

The boiler switches on, I turned the High/Low temperature switch to off and the boiler turned off. It went back on again when I set it high/low. Then after a while the boiler switched off and the pump upstairs just keeps running all night.
Not very useful as I would expect the boiler to go out when you turn it off at the boiler switch. But that wasn't what I asked you to do! Please re-read my instructions and come back with any queries if you do not understand them.

I switched the hot water on at the timer but the boiler didn't turn off. The hot water thermostat was set at low and switched the hot water on again didn't switch the boiler off. The only way I could get the boiler to go off was with switching the thermostat off or switching off the mains supply. Does that help?

I switched the hot water on at the timer but the boiler didn't turn off. The hot water thermostat was set at low and switched the hot water on again didn't switch the boiler off. The only way I could get the boiler to go off was with switching the thermostat off or switching off the mains supply. Does that help?
Yes.

If you have a multimeter you can carry out some easy checks when the problem next occurs. (Hint, you can always reset the clock so it occurs at a more convenient time.)

The cable from the valve will probably go into a large junction box, so you must remove the lid. Find the orange wire from the valve and use the meter to measure the voltage between the orange and neutral when the problem is occurring. If it is 240V, the valve actuator is faulty. If it is between about 50 and 150v, the valve is OK and the fault is elsewhere.

I found the problem, yay!! It turns out it was the frost stat next to the boiler, it was set at 15 deg and probably has been for years. Thanks D_Hailsham I know you suggested this earlier but I didn't know we had one until now!!

So glad I came on here though, it made me think logically and saved me loads of money!!

Anyone know what the frost stat should be set to?

I found the problem, yay!! It turns out it was the frost stat next to the boiler, it was set at 15 deg and probably has been for years. Anyone know what the frost stat should be set to?
You normally only need a frost stat if the boiler is in an unheated part of the house, e.g the garage.

It could be that the previous owners installed the frost stat so the house did not get too cold when it was unoccupied. Provided the boiler and all the pipes are in the house, not in an unheated area - e.g garage and loft - you could probably drop the frost stat temperature to 10°C or less. It all depends on how quickly your house cools down over night. In normal circumstances the frost stat should not be coming on every night when the house is occupied, unless it is so badly insulated that it feels like a fridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back