boiler suddenly stoped working - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Grandee oil boiler with a Sterling burner, been working fine for a good while, tonight the timer came on and got a low level "buzz / hum" sound lasted about 8 to 10 seconds.

No attempt at ignition as the motor did not turn/run then locked out, tried the reset button same again had this low buzz / hum.

Removed cover tried reset button same again I held my hand on the motor where the sound seemed to come from and notice it was getting quite warm and could feel a slight vibration as if the motor was trying to start then lock out after 8 to 10 secs.

hopefully I have described the fault o.k., I see there is a capacitor on the motor can this cause this type of fault.

Any thing I can try/check ??? thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
You could first see if shaft turns freely.

If so then measure the capacitance value!

Tony

If the capacitor is goosed, the motor doesn't know which way to spin.....which could be your answer.
Of course, a stiff oil pump could give the same symptoms, so I'd like to test the motor on the bench, if possible.
With mains voltage applied, the motor should start and spin reliably, every time.
One method - if the motor doesn't want to spin - (which I don't know if you want to try) is to spin the motor shaft by hand, and switching it on at the same time. If it starts to spin then, its either the capacitor or the motor windings itself.
Have a look at the capacitor for blackening or swelling.
John :)

Tony & John
Thanks you both for your advice, I will drop the burner in the morning and test the motor shaft for free spin.

One question I have is, the motor I think has two bolts securing it to the burner body, if I undo those bolts holding the motor does the motor release easily from the fan as I am guessing the motor shaft is keyed or has a flat to drive the fan.

Thanks, Derek.

Sponsored Links
John / Tony

Just a follow up, dropped burner, removed motor ... instant fault found ... not really a fault, a squashed mouse in the blower fan wedged between fan and burner housing, sad for the little mouse.

Must have got caught when the timer came on as earlier in the day the boiler had been fine no warning signs of noise/squeaks/vibration of any motor problems etc.

Having removed the mouse and cleaned the fan checked it for free & even spin all seemed good, reinstalled motor and now have a warm place.

This is the second mouse I have found, first time that it had jammed the motor from turning, I am betting that you engineers have had the same at some point, I live in a rural place and lots of mice around.

Thanks again for your help and replies.

Regards, Derek.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back