Random lockout - Potterton Statesman 65/85 oil-fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Potterton Statesman 65/85 "Horizontally Fired Automatic Pressure Jet Oil Boiler" on my central heating system. It has started to lock out at random times. I hear it start up (the oil pump?) then a buzzing/humming sound and lockout before firing. Sometimes it will fire after a short buzzing sound. When operating correctly there is no buzz before firing.

Sometimes it will start on reset, buzz and lock out again, sometimes it will fire up and keep going.

Had an engineer out but the boiler fired ok, so I have a £68 call out bill that says "no fault found". There was no attempt to look for one on the grounds that you can't fix something that isn't broken! Before paying this bill I am attempting to get from him a plan as how to track down this fault.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Sponsored Links
did he test pump pressure....ie get a guage out?? :eek:

call him back....jeez i get called back......all the time.... :LOL: :cry: :cry:

cant remember if its a riello burner on them.... anyway get him back..its his job after all. buzzing could indicate weak capacitor..and other things........

No - there was no pump check. As it happens he fitted a new pump and motor about 6 months ago when pump started leaking and let oil into the motor.

Yes - it's a Riello burner - 40-G5BF.

Mike

Sponsored Links
The statesman is prone to coughing a bit on start up when cold(ish), but this doesn't sound like your problem.

I would lay very short odds on it being the motor capacitor. I bet the guy didn't check its value. It may be as low as 2.5uF, but should be 4uF.

If you can get a capacitance meter, take the cover off the burner, (you will have to remove a plate at the bottom of the boiler first). Then turn off the power and undo the locking screw on the side of the control box. Pull the control box back and lift it off. Disconnect one of the capacitor leads and measure its value.

Haven't been able to check capacitor yet, but notice that the solenoid on the pump clicks, then the buzz starts, then it locks out. What does the solenoid control? The buzzing may be coming from that although it's bit difficult to pin down.

Thanks Gaz for partsarena address - would I be able to buy a capacitor that way?

milmorguy said:
Haven't been able to check capacitor yet, but notice that the solenoid on the pump clicks, then the buzz starts, then it locks out. What does the solenoid control? The buzzing may be coming from that although it's bit difficult to pin down.

Thanks Gaz for partsarena address - would I be able to buy a capacitor that way?
If you take the part number from PartsArena and go to the PartsCenter web site, you should be able to find it and its price.

Hi did you ever get your problem solved i have this problem. i have just replaced motor and pump but still doing it. motor buzzing and will not turn unless give fan a push is this the capacitor please help...?

see if the motor will start with the oil pump disconnected,or just try loosening the grub screws holding the pump to the motor,had a few of these which would not start up after a pump/motor replacement due to the pump being slightly out of line onto the motor housing.

Hi did you ever get your problem solved i have this problem. i have just replaced motor and pump but still doing it. motor buzzing and will not turn unless give fan a push is this the capacitor please help...?

Try starting a new thread, not using one from 2005!!!!!!!!!!!

The MODS are a bit slower this year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back