oil burner lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm experiencing lockout problems which on the face of it seem quite random. My burner is a very old Selectos D42/A and the control box an equally ancient Danfoss 57H3.

It seems random because sometimes it goes to lockout before firing and sometimes after firing; and when I say after firing I mean several hours!

There's plenty of oil in the tank too.

About 6-8 weeks ago I had an underground tank fitted and a tigerloop. Everything was ok until last week and then I had the first lock out. It restarts perfectly everytime I reset - just one push and it fires.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
not sure if this has a solenoid but if it does i would change it first as these are the same symptoms.

I'm surprised you managed to get an underground tank. Have you got the certificate from building control yet?

The photocell is a likely candidate. But then there are a number of other things too.

I experienced problems some years back with lockout problems on a selectos D42. These problems seemed to disappear after I had the oil tank filled. The oil tank when full was about level with the oil pump but prior to filling it was about a metre below. This suggested maybe the pump could not cope. A pressure test showed about 20 psi and it could not be adjusted to get any higher pressure.
A new pump set at 100 psi and problem never came back.
So first I would check pressure. cause if you now have underground tank it does suggest similar type problem.
How far below oil pump is the oil level in tank?
How old is your oil pump and does it have a solinoid?
If you replace one without solinoid for one with solinoid, wiring will need slight change (well it did on mine)

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised you managed to get an underground tank. Have you got the certificate from building control yet?

The photocell is a likely candidate. But then there are a number of other things too.

Thanks for the reply. Don't need a certificate. I'm also overun with building control too as the underground tank was part of an extension I'm having built.

I've cleaned the photcell...

I experienced problems some years back with lockout problems on a selectos D42. These problems seemed to disappear after I had the oil tank filled. The oil tank when full was about level with the oil pump but prior to filling it was about a metre below. This suggested maybe the pump could not cope. A pressure test showed about 20 psi and it could not be adjusted to get any higher pressure.
A new pump set at 100 psi and problem never came back.
So first I would check pressure. cause if you now have underground tank it does suggest similar type problem.
How far below oil pump is the oil level in tank?
How old is your oil pump and does it have a solinoid?
If you replace one without solinoid for one with solinoid, wiring will need slight change (well it did on mine)

Thanks for that. Solenoid has cropped up in other suggestions too. How can I check the pressure?

the tank being below the burner is not the problem as he has a tiger loop
as oilman said this can be a number of things when was it last serviced and have you checked oil filter as you may have fuel starvation or as said above flame sensor(photo cell)
New nozzle required? dirty blast tube all cause lockout so get a service is best advice :LOL:

Thanks gasandoilman. I'm favouring the contaminated fuel possibility given that the lockout occurs randomly i.e can be both before and after firing - does this make sense? I also think it's sound advice to get a service as it has been over 2 years since the last one!

Take a sample of the oil to ensure there is no water there.....then, clean the pump filter (it may be an internal gauze type or have a type that simply unscrews from the pump body) Then, check the pump pressure (usually factory set at 10 bar). Remove the blast tube and clean it with compressed air if you can, and fit a new nozzle of exactly the same type (around 5 quid). See that the electrode ends are approximately level with the end of the nozzle (but not so close that they could spark onto the blast tube!). At the same time, the baffles within the boiler should be clean - any obstruction here will cause problems so shift any carbon or sulphur deposits. Good luck with it! Cheers John

Thanks for the reply. Don't need a certificate.

I think you'll find an oil storage installation is a controlled service, you will therefore need approval by some method. My understanding is that environmental requirements make underground tanks undesirable.

Indeed it is a controlled substance but up to 3,500 ltrs at least, an OFTEC registered technician is able to self certify his/her own work.

an OFTEC registered technician is able to self certify his/her own work.

True, but they now have to notify building control, after which building control will send you a certificate.

As I said, building control are regular visitors to the site of my extension and the tank is part of the plans so if I need a certificate no doubt they will bring one with them next time they call. Any further ideas on why my burner keeps locking out?

Did the OFTEC technician who installed the tank and tigerloop not check the pressure etc... when they finished the installation?
Presumably you had the old tank contents emptied into the new tank so could be carp in the filter (as already suggested), so check this 1st as quite easy to do (assuming filter is accessible). Check for water contamination in fuel line and run off at boiler.
As suggested could be pump pressure,nozzle,blast tube or solenoid coil - service could possibly sort it out (but advise engineer of problem when requesting service as it's not a cure all).
Could be faulty tigerloop as this is the only new addition to the installation apart from oil tank.
I'd query the certificate with your LBC people when they are next onsite just to ensure it's not overlooked. I had an issue recently where a building firm wanted me to sign off their installation of a new tank which was not installed to standard, I refused - it's connected and running now so I don't know whether it was ever notified correctly...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back