Boiler temp increase/HW channel trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've read through most of the posts on here about Boiler tripping electric circuits but none of them quite applies to my issue.

I have a Ideal Logic gas boiler, with a gravity-fed hot water cylinder, a programmable Siemens Boiler controller and Siemens thermostat. The cylinder has an immersion heater, which is turned off, however shares the central heating eletrical circuit. A Three-port-valve is installed. In the last month, an engineer attended to try and triage issues, and replaced the TP Valve motor. There's a Magnaclean Micro 2 in the water loop.

The house is currently being refurbished, and nothing has changed except some of the radiators are not connected at the moment, though the disconnected rads comprise about 35% of the total central heating loop's water volume.

Recently, we've been having some significant issues, narrowed down to these two situations:
1. Turning on the hot water channel on the boiler controller started causing the RCD to trip, randomly - never the same amount of time. Anywhere between instantly (if CH had been running prior) and 10 minutes (from cold) which leads to point 2
2. Turning the central heating on and setting the heat knob to anyting over approximately 45 degrees (about a third over minimum temp on the dial) ends up tripping the RCD as well. Again this will happen anything between 2-14 minutes after starting the boiler (my guess is as it reaches temperature)

I have bled the system, checked for leaks wherever possible and found none. The electrical circuits are in tact as far as I can see - there hasn't been any work close to where they are run. I cleaned the MagnaClean filter and that wasn't very dirty to start off with. Pressure is 1 bar when cold, 1.5 bar when heating.

I've had 2 different professionals visit, one of them from a renowned plumbing company who just arrived, said I should buy a combi-boiler, and charged me for the visit, the other running extensive tests but not finding anything specific - he replaced the TP Valve motor hoping it would fix the problem. He checked the boiler pump itself and said it's fine.

Further searches and having spoken to the last engineer who visited points to possibly:
1. The water pump in the boiler, but wouldn't this trip the RCD the moment it starts?
2. The three-port valve possibly getting stuck, but would this not also cause a quicker RCD trip, and what relevance would it have to the boiler tripping the RCD if the boiler temp is set to normal range (eco mode is approximately 65 Degrees C)?

I need to call someone out to come and fix it but I don't know if I should do any further detailed checks first, and would very much prefer to have good guidance on what could be the root cause before I get anyone out which involves additional cost.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

v

Sponsored Links
I'd put my money on your pump, as it gets hot, the windings are pulling apart and earthing. How old is the pump? It could also be a miriad of boiler issues (condense backing up and it leaking into something, internal thermostat shorting) but my experience always points to pumps for RCDs and time delayed trips.

Note: You can rule out the three port as it will rest in hot water mode, so if it trips in hot water only mode, the three port won't be performing a function, so it isn't that.

Btw... You don't have gravity hot water, you have described a Y-Plan, fully pumped system ;)

Good luck

had similar a few years ago. house being refurbed, ch tripping randomly.

turns out the kitchen fitter had caught a 3 core and earth cable with a cupboard fixing screw. it only tripped when the cylinder got up to temperature. walls were dot and dabbed plasterboard. cupboard was fitted around existing boiler with two channel timer underneath it.
cables came across to the right then up the side of the boiler.

sound similar?

Sponsored Links
Bloody RCD's they can trip over a gnat's fart!
Can you not wire this up outside of the RCD circuit and protect it with a 3amp fuse in a plug?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back