Boiler Timeswitch Upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone advise me if a boiler timer exists that can do the following?

We have a church hall/worship area that uses an ancient but very reliable Thorn M120/150 (44kW) gas boiler in the basement controlled only by a basic RWB-7 Timeswitch hardwired from the hall area. This boiler provides heating to these two large spaces plus hot water.

The timer switch is basic to today's standards and the hall is hired out regularly for up to 4 different groups per day throughout the week, but some are not necessarily every week e.g. some groups might require only the 1st Wed every month or two days in a month. So throughout the month someone has to come in and change the settings to & fro accordingly.

Does anyone know of a Timeswitch that can be programmed/controlled remotely over the internet that would have such flexibility as to, for example, set on/off times for odd days in the month (so not always assumed to be 'every' x day of the week). I guess like a calendar display and being able to choose 12 days over the coming year to operate at say 9-11am, something like that - in addition to the regular weekday events - all configured by an app or PC software?

Its a bit non-domestic I know and fancies like geo-fencing or learning behavior is unlikely to be useful (although not a problem if it can be disabled of course).

Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that does hot water as well? The timeswitch you have said is a single channel (usually just heating only). Either way, yes, you should be able to set it up with an internet one.

Are you sure that does hot water as well? The timeswitch you have said is a single channel (usually just heating only). Either way, yes, you should be able to set it up with an internet one.

Yes it's a single channel timeswitch that controls everything. I'm new to the system and working out a plan for much needed improvements. I haven't yet found an internet controlled timer that I can be sure will allow ad-hoc day programming as I described..

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Look at a Honeywell lyric.

Thanks I looked at this. Downloaded the user instructions but it reveals nothing in terms of it's scheduling capabilities; more emphasis on geocaching and learning how an individual uses the heating. Downloaded the App (Honeywell Home) but it refuses to let you play with anything in order to determine the capabilities unless you buy & connect with a Lyric first! Have emailed them with a similar question to my initial post.

If existing single channel controls everything, then you may want to upgrade more than just the time-switch? Might need a single channel hive, or Drayton wiser single channel then. I’m not 100% of your system, but could be gravity.

With the Honeywell app you can control everything remotely.

If existing single channel controls everything, then you may want to upgrade more than just the time-switch? Might need a single channel hive, or Drayton wiser single channel then. I’m not 100% of your system, but could be gravity.
Thanks I think some upgrades are much needed, at this stage I am investigating our options and hoping I can start with a more user friendly timer/programmer/thermostat control which is something I can install independently of any other system upgrades. Ideally I think we would like 3-zones for heating 2 halls & HW with each hall having independent thermostat control and timing. Still waiting for a visit from our plumber to discuss. Current system uses a Danfoss pump to the community hall rads which is switched by the boiler and another Danfoss pump is manually switched whenever heat is required in the worship area (e.g., Sundays).

A church with internet wifi ? what is it used for ?
Does this help mate? ;)
The timer switch is basic to today's standards and the hall is hired out regularly for up to 4 different groups per day throughout the week, but some are not necessarily every week e.g. some groups might require only the 1st Wed every month or two days in a month. So throughout the month someone has to come in and change the settings to & fro accordingly.

it is an expence that has to be paid for, cant understand why a church would require it
I see your point, but if it’s hired out, then surely it’s making profit - one is that your point, should be not for profit organisation?

I see your point, but if it’s hired out, then surely it’s making profit - one is that your point, should be not for profit organisation?
our local church has a hall that they let out to charities, help groups, scouts, things like that, they dont have wifi, and honestly cant think why any of the groups would need it or be able to justify the monthly cost of it

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
the churchwarden and others may use email for church business, sending out newsletters, using the net to look things up, contacting plumbers and roofers, making bookings for BMD events.

there will be someone who deals with the accounts.

there might be smart meters and intruder alarms

Spot on John we have a working office in the building for communications, emails with congregation, etc.

Quite frankly I could not think how we would operate so well without internet/WiFi. During severe COVID restrictions Zoom meetings were very useful and now we hold Sunday services via Zoom too for those who are unable to attend such as the elderly in the winter months. We also broadcast to our sister church in Cardiff and any of the congregation who are away. Wifi is also offered to hall users but is rarely used due to the availability of mobile data I think.

WiFi in a church is very useful I can assure you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back