Boiler tripping electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a problem i'd like your advice on.

Our boiler started tripping the electrics occasionally, and eventually blew a relay in the control centre (honeywell smartfit) - possibly a short circuit. I replaced the control centre and the same thing happened after about 20 mins of the boiler coming on. Somehow linked to the thermostat in the boiler perhaps or a short circuit?

We have a system boiler located in a downstairs kitchen, and a hot water tank + CH pump on a Y plan system upstairs in an airing cupboard. Boiler is an old Glowworm Hideaway 80.The controls are Honeywell smartfit which are all located in the airing cupboard upstairs, and there is a mains cable going through the floor/wall voids to the boiler downstairs in the kitchen.

I got another smartfit control centre and wired up everything but the boiler, and I turned on the boiler using an electric supply from the kitchen and everything ran fine (I ran it for about half an hour or so).

I suspect the cable between the boiler and the control centre has a short somewhere, and i'd like to replace it and see if that fixes things.

The problem I have is that the Honeywell smartfit control centre isn't exactly cheap to replace, and rather than go through yet another one I was thinking I might be able to put an MCB or even an RCD between the control centre and the boiler (live) with the idea that if there is another short the MCB will trip before the relay blows in the the control centre. Right now there is an FCU connected to the boiler (for isolation) and that doesn't seem to trip before the relay goes in the control centre.

Would this be workable? Also, i'm not sure if this falls under part p as technically i'm replacing a cable, but might also be changing the old style FCU at the boiler with an MCB DIN rail or RCD FCU.

This is a rough overview of the system

honeywell-smartfit-boiler.gif

Sponsored Links
1. Check the fuse in the FCU that provides power to the CH system. It should be no more than 3amp. If it's more then the Smartfit will fry before the fuse goes.
Its a very common problem for the unwitting to just install an FCU without fitting the correct fuse for the system. FCUs come supplied with a 13A fuse (the maximum available).

2. Its very unlikey for a bit of cable to develop an intermittent short circuit. I would suspect other components in the system first. Look for places where water and electricity meet: pumps, valve and the boiler itself.

You do not need to notify the replacement of a bit of cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back