Boiler & Wireless Thermostat problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all,

I have a Potterton Promax Combi HE Plus (33 HE A) and a Potterton Famoso 601 RF Wireless thermostat.

The boiler is currently flashing battery low/empty, I have obviously changed the batteries in the thermostat and followed the "recommisioning/linking" process, however the thermostat isn't picked up and it just keeps flashing. It does seem to pick it up occasionally because if you set the heating to constant it will randomly come on and then go off (very annoying at about 3am)...

Can I just buy a cheapo wireless thermostat and see if it works, or do I need to buy a specific one for the boiler? I'm hoping its just an thermostat issue and not one with the boiler :E

Sponsored Links
Does the problem go away if you move the control unit (transmitter) nearer to the relay box (receiver)? If it does, then the problem is due to loss of signal between the two transmitter and receiver. This will be due to the type and number of walls between them. The only solution is to re-site one of the components.

Sorry I probably should have stressed; when I'm trying to relink them I put the thermostat right next to it and it doesn't pick it up :(

Bump :(

I really hope a "cheap" wireless thermostat would work, the Potterton is £122 :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Never buy cheap! It's worse than buying very expensive!

How old is the Famoso - it's actually made by Grasslin? If it's still in guarantee, why not get it replaced?

If you want something better, go for a Honeywell CM927. You can get a new one on Ebay for £85.

It's not in guarantee, as far as I'm aware my girlfriend had her boiler fixed some years ago, and it flooded the place the next day. She went mental and demanded a new boiler, to which the company obliged and gave her it complete with the thermostat. I think it had a basic one year manufacturers guarantee at most

Never buy cheap! It's worse than buying very expensive!

How old is the Famoso - it's actually made by Grasslin? If it's still in guarantee, why not get it replaced?

If you want something better, go for a Honeywell CM927. You can get a new one on Ebay for £85.

Will that work with the Promax Combi HE Plus?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back