Boiler wiring question

Sponsored Links
Knowledge. Less than or equal to 3A is not correct, is it?
As I implied before, I certainly agree it is not 'satisfactory' for a statement in 'instructions', since it could lead to use of a fuse too small to allow the equipment to function. Whether one calls that 'incorrect' is a mater of opinion.

What they presumably mean is that, from the point-of-view of 'protection', the fuse rating "should not be greater than 3A". What they don't, but should, add is something like "... but should be greater than X to allow normal functioning of the equipment' - or, even simpler, that the fuse rating should be "between X and Y".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
An instruction which states that one may use a fuse with which the equipment would not work is hardly correct, is it?

As I implied before, I certainly agree it is not 'satisfactory' for a statement in 'instructions', since it could lead to use of a fuse too small to allow the equipment to function.
559.5.1.204 could lead to use of an overcurrent protective device too small to allow the lighting equipment to function.

An instruction which states that one may use a fuse with which the equipment would not work is hardly correct, is it?
Well, it's certainly daft. As I said, if they feel they have to state a maximum fuse rating (to provide 'adequate protection'), then I suppose they are entitled to - but they certainly ought to also indicate the minimum that will allow the equipment to function.

In practice, of course, unlike me, most people probably don't even realise that BS1362 fuses rated below 3A exist, let alone have any <3A, so will presumably interpret the instruction as meaning that they should use a 3A fuse.

I seem to recall that we have discussed this before in relation to other things, and that it's not actually unusual for MIs to state only a maximum rating of fuse or other OPD - similarly 'incorrect' in terms of your view.

Kind Regards, John

Ok. I may be being a bit picky but I don't think that ≤ is the same as maximum. 1mA complies with ≤3A.
I've already mention a 1mA one!

However, to be equally picky, I would say that ≤3A does mean "3A maximum", doesn't it? If not, why not?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back