Boiler woes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Worcester 24i System boiler something doesn't seem right from what I can tell when the boiler comes on to heat the hot water cylinder the CH RETURN pipe gets scalding hot, as well as the CH & Cylinder FLOW pipe.
The piping from the CH FLOW goes from the boiler down to the cylinder and then it has a T join where the pipe goes into the cylinder and then the other part of the T continues off to the CH, this bit stays cold unless I open TRV on my upstairs radiators as expected.

So hot water is working okay, but there is also scaling hot water that seems like it must be coming out of the boiler CH RETURN.....?

Does that make any sense to anyone :eek:

The boiler was serviced recently and they didn't report any issues except the AAV has been leaking and needs replacing. The guy who serviced it couldn't tell me what would have caused that though. The boiler is only 2 1/2 years old. He showed me the AAV leak, it is/has been leaking for sure.

If anyone needs more information just ask :)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The guy who serviced it couldn't tell me what would have caused that though. The boiler is only 2 1/2 years old. He showed me the AAV leak, it is/has been leaking for sure.

Many thanks.

That's odd, sounds as if they had put a new guy on the servicing!

They always leak!

Caused by dirt on the seating!

Okay thanks for clarifying that.

I've looked at how to replace the AAV in the boiler instructions, it's very simple step one unscrew AAV, step 2 screw in AAV. Fitting is reverse of removal, funnily enough. :)
I'll be draining the system over the next few weeks to fit a new radiator downstairs, am I allowed to change the AAV myself at the same time??

Also any idea on why the CH return is burning hot when the hot water timer comes on? Feed to the radiators is cold, return burning hot, like hot water is coming from the CH return on the boiler and well as the CH feed.

Sponsored Links
Probably just a little flow caused by expansion of the water in the boiler.

Maybe you have a little more air at top of rads than normal but that's quite common and nothing to worry about.

Replacing the AAV is quite easy but hardly necessary as once air is ejected you can just screw closed the cap to stop it leaking!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back