Bolt-down metpost support on sloping concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old, solid but sloping piece of old garage floor that I want to bolt a 3" post support to.

In order to correct the approx 10 degree misalignment I can either shape the bottom of the post or I can put a wedge under the post support to level it up. I happen to have a solid piece of plastic decking-type material that does not compress and I can shape into a wedge.

If it makes any difference this is not a corner post and will be supporting three 5 x 3 beams, two butt-ended onto the post and the third perpendicular

Which is the best of the two options?

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Could you just use washers under the side that needs packing, suitably sized to go around the bolts yours using

Last edited:
drill the bolt-holes for the socket vertically

bolt the socket down, supporting it with your fingers or some suitable object

ram a stiff mix of fine concrete under the foot and smooth off the edges

keep it damp for a week to harden

tighten the screws.

If you prefer, you can build a little wooden formwork on the floor, with the top planed horizontal, and let it fully harden before drilling through it and putting your socket on top. Your bolts or studs must go into the original floor, not the new packer.

you can use stainless penny washers if any fine adjustment is needed.

new concrete will be reasonably hard and strong after curing for a week if it is continually damp or wet. It will not reach full hardness if you let it dry, even if you later wet it again. you can flop polythene or clingfilm over it if you want, starting on the second day, to prevent it drying out. If you can keep it wet for a month it will be even stronger.

you need your new concrete pad to be strong to resist cracking or crushing, especially if the post rocks at all.

the post supports I use came from Wickes and have an oversized foot plate

T3274_218588_00

this design is strong for a vertical load such as a shed, but less secure with a sideways or leaning load such as a fence on a windy day, which will try to wrench it out due to the post's leverage.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Bol...lush-Fit-for-Fence-Posts---75-x-75mm/p/218588

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I actially did this post last. Its position was dictated by the other (brick) supports. As it turned out the gap beneath the support was only about 3mm so a couple of SS washers did the trick

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back