Removing posts from metpost supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My garden is raised relative to the neighbour's with a block retaining wall. The fence separating the two gardens runs along the retaining wall with the posts going into concreted in met post holders in the wall itself.

Time has come to replace the 10 panel fence and the posts (want a taller, non rotten fence). Ideally I'd like to reuse the metpost supports. I know the trade doesn't like them but they are in the perfect position, don't wobble and I'd rather not get involved with my neighbour's retaining wall if I can help it.

As such, how to? They aren't the type with bolts to loosen. I've read that cutting flush, drilling them and chiselling them out is the only way, any other suggestions?

400x400.jpg

Sponsored Links
drill a hole through the centre of the post
bar through the post
jack the post out

or lever it out as

Edited

If you mean you just want to take out the wood, and leave the metposts in place, the posts will be wedged into those steel inner fins. I think you will need to brace your jack or fulcrum to press straight down onto the concrete If they are reluctant to come out without the supports, I think, as you say, you will need a big drill and a sharp chisel to break them up. The posts may have swollen since being fitted as they will be damper, and this will make them tight.

Last edited:
What that guy did, or something involving a bottle jack.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, much appreciated.

I like the lever fulcrum idea, will give that a shot.

In the event that the metpost itself gets pulled out, do I just whack it back in with postcrete?

Cheers,

Donny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back