Bond Beam v Control Joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is something I do not understand and would be grateful for clarification.

The idea of a control joint is to allow a wall to move and therefore prevent it from cracking. At the same time we put rigid elements such or a bond beam that prevent movement.

Do we really need control joints in an inner leaf of a cavity wall, and if so how do we deal with the bond beam?

Sponsored Links
Proprietory bond beam systems have sleeved anchors at the ends which allow for a small degree of movement, usually through initial shrinkage (thermal movement of an inner skin is less of an issue than on the outer skin, for obvious reasons).
As a matter of interest, why the question? Bond beams are not often found in domestic work.

Thanks for the advice. As far as a bond beam is concerned I find it a bit confusing. From the European perspective a bond beam is a compulsory element on buildings made of aerated concrete blocks. However, I do not see it even mentioned in my British books. Why is that?

Don't know? AAC block is of course notorious for shrinkage, but never seen bond-beams used with it in domestic buildings.

Sponsored Links
So, if I use a conventional CMU, not AAC, I don’t need a bond beam? Honestly, a comparative approach can be eye opening.

Are these "bond beams" a foreign thing, or do I need to update my edition of Chudley?

Well, I have Chudley and a few other books and none of them mentions bond beams. I thought I was missing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back