Bonding and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just after reassurance as i cant afford an electricion just yet (want suff doing), Though im dong lots of overtime!

All my neighbours seem to have an earth rod thing on front of there terraced house. Yet mine is in my back yard and is in 10mm wire is this adequate? should it be 16mm also i calculate it about 25-30metres of cable to get it to the back of house as it comes out of the wall then down the wall is this wrong? thought it suppose to be by the electric board?

My water stopcock is about the same 25-30 metres from the electric board and again in 10mm is this adequate? should it be 16mm.

My gas metre is by the electric board and is i think 16mm earth cable so assume this is ok?

I ask thes questions as my neighbour helping me do my kicthen units and fit sink and noticed these things and he seems tho think there all wrong.

Just wondering what you sparkys think.?

Sponsored Links
10.0mm² is sufficient for the MEBs to your gas and water. (you can use smaller on a TT supply, but 10.0mm² is often used to future-proof for a PME upgrade)

The minimum requirement for the main earth from en earth electrode in a TT system is 4.0mm² if not mechanically protected, so again you are fine.

TT installations are a bit different to normal TN installations, due to the higher impedance of the earth electrode, and as a result of this, certain precautions must be taken to ensure that the supply will still automatically disconnect in the event of a fault occouring.

Normally there will be an additional RCD to acheive this.

Do you know how to post a picture?

If so, show us a picture of your cutout / meter / consumer unit, and we will be able to give you a better idea of how things are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back