Bonding gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just had a new roof installed for a mid terrace house. The neighbour has advised of an issue with the bonding gutter where he says some cement should be filled on the edge of tiles as the cavity is detrimental for wind and birds.

The neighbour on the other side has a newish roof too and does have cement underneath the edge of his tiles (please refer to second pic).

My roofer advises that they are dry bonding gutters and are meant to be left uncemented so the water can run off.

I am wondering if someone can please check the pictures advise?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Type dry bonding gutter into Google and tell me if it's the same as what you have

Type dry bonding gutter into Google and tell me if it's the same as what you have
This is what I see:
HDL-DBG1-SG.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Celeronmanuk, I guess this is the key:
A mortar bed is applied to the sanded strip. The
slates or tiles are fixed on both sides, ensuring
they are located and butted up centrally over the
bonding gutter. Ensure the mortar does not enter
the water channel of the slate or tile.

I have the exact same issue and my roofer said some people mortar them some don’t, knew it was bullshit. Great so I have a draughty roof or have the tiles taken off and put back down again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back