Bonding issue - can we join the bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay went to look at a job this afternoon.

The MEB is the correct size, however instead of the bonding being continuous from cu to water to gas, the previous installer has cut the bonding at the water clamp and then attached a seperate piece of bonding between the water and the gas. (all of 6 inches away :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

There is very little play on the continuous piece and the customer is very reluctant to have their new kitchen 'disturbed' to pull in a new length.

Is it acceptable to crimp the 2 pieces of bonding together with a copper lug crimp?

Sponsored Links
Can you through crimp a new piece of cable on and loop it through one without cutting it and terminate it to the 2nd?

Cheers lads that is what I was wanting to hear.

My mind had told me through crimp, fresh cut and clamp at both points just wasn't sure if it was 'acceptable'

Sponsored Links
again with this one continuous length. :rolleyes:

nowhere in the regs does it state that if using one cable to bond both gas and water does it have to be a continuous length..

it's acceptable to use ring crimps also BTW....

again with this one continuous length. :rolleyes:

nowhere in the regs does it state that if using one cable to bond both gas and water does it have to be a continuous length..

it's acceptable to use ring crimps also BTW....

It is always taught this way on the C&G2391 course, it is probably a take on one of the other regs, possibly to do with maintenance i.e. working on one thing shouldn't effect the other. 528.3.3??
I'll stick with what I know - keep the cable unbroken throughout it's length.

Me too.

If you cut the conductor and it becomes disconnected from the "host" pipe, it is useless. You risk losing the connection to both services.

At least if you use a continuous piece and it comes adrift at one point, one service is still connected.

Same with ring crimps when joining two conductors. If they loosen off, you have a high resistance joint.

Obviously better if you can keep the conductor uncut but you dont have the liberty so not a great deal you can do.

I too would personally go with cutting the conductor and crimping a new piece on which was then continous to both water and gas....quick continuity test after and jobs a good un.....

Could i suppose note it on the EIC/MWC if it bothers you that much Oharaff.

Nice job Coljack!!!

It was hammered into us at college that it should be continuous.

On Level 3, assessment just before starting the visual checks I turned to the assesor and sais' I bet the bonding isn't continuous' he rolled his eyes and called me 'a smart arse' low and behold first thing I checked bonding in 2 pieces, just turned smiled, pointed and he ticked!!

%Thanks for all your affirmation chaps will be crimping away tomorrow :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back