bonding over artex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick one , i am plastering a ceiling and it has horrible :evil: deep artex on it. i dont think two coats of multi will cover it even with knocking the rough edges off.

my question is should i use bonding on it first and if so do i pva it before hand, i am new to using bonding and have only used it to fill a few holes and cracks which i had no problem skimming over. is there a set procedure when bonding a wall/ceiling. plus (sorry for all the questions) do you mix it to a thick consistency or like a creamy one like multi-finish and how much workability do you get with it?

one more thing i need to plaster over some pipes, should i put some conduit over it and bond over that level with the wall.

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
danger here is the artex not being sealed enough and the weight of it pulling the artex off the ceiling, so YES, PVA first, to be honest i often use WBA first then PVA to make sure and haven't had any problems, possibly overkill but i've had a problem once with patches of bonded artex falling off.

you want it a bit thicker than finish IMO but each will like it differently, needs to be thick enough to spread thickly but not too thick so maybe thinner that you'd have it for filling holes and chases.

just lay it on and flatten it, job done, if you can close it up a bit it may help reduce the chance of bubbling when skimming.

you should get almost an hour i suppose with it before it's picked up too much.

yes put conduit over pipes otherwise they'll crack your plaster when they expand and contract.

see what others have to say too though.

danger here is the artex not being sealed enough and the weight of it pulling the artex off the ceiling, so YES, PVA first, to be honest i often use WBA first then PVA to make sure and haven't had any problems, possibly overkill but i've had a problem once with patches of bonded artex falling off.

you want it a bit thicker than finish IMO but each will like it differently, needs to be thick enough to spread thickly but not too thick so maybe thinner that you'd have it for filling holes and chases.

just lay it on and flatten it, job done, if you can close it up a bit it may help reduce the chance of bubbling when skimming.

you should get almost an hour i suppose with it before it's picked up too much.

yes put conduit over pipes otherwise they'll crack your plaster when they expand and contract.

see what others have to say too though.

I'd go with that T/M.
A coat of Bonding always give a much better base to skim onto, especially over deeper artex patterns

I find bonding easier to work that finish, infact, if it wouldn't look odd I think i would leave it as the finish on the wall :LOL: What i'm getting at is dont be afffraid of using it, and you can close it in so maybe be able to get your ceiling done in one hit with the finish!

Sponsored Links
i am new to using bonding and have only used it to fill a few holes and cracks which i had no problem skimming over. is there a set procedure when bonding a wall/ceiling. plus (sorry for all the questions) do you mix it to a thick consistency or like a creamy one like multi-finish and how much workability do you get with it?

Hi Sheldon

I think the Bonding is perhaps a slightly firmer consistency than you get with multi. Probably as much the granular nature.
I find it ok to work with, and would suggest you considering it.
Bonding has some coarse grains in it (not quite sure what these are called) but I find these actually help when applying it for a thin/tight coat.
if it gets too thin, I find they drag.

Ideally aim to skim it the same day when it has set/darkened.

If it’s stipple, knock the high spots off the day before with a flat bladed shovel, apply a strongish sealing coat of PVA & allow to dry out thoroughly, at least overnight. PVA again just before plastering (don’t work it too much) & apply the Bonding as soon as it goes tacky. Multifinish as soon as the Bonding has set; if you leave it to long & it starts to dry out you’ll have horrendous problems with suction.

If it’s stipple, knock the high spots off the day before with a flat bladed shovel, apply a strongish sealing coat of PVA & allow to dry out thoroughly, at least overnight. PVA again just before plastering (don’t work it too much) & apply the Bonding as soon as it goes tacky. Multifinish as soon as the Bonding has set; if you leave it to long & it starts to dry out you’ll have horrendous problems with suction.

Job Done!

If the bonding does go off and you cant get the finish on in time, leave it completly dry and you can pva over the bonding in the same method you did to the artex before applying the multi finish.

can you not over board it if not m8te iv had jobs like this its a pig scrap off high spots try useing WBA the night before two good coats of muilti finish then a third coat for a finish i use muilti for two coats then the last coat of board finish its creamy less grainy and it trowels up nice :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back