bonding soil pipe

Thinking about the jointing techniques that used to be found on cast iron soil pipe (sockets caulked with hemp and tar, pointed with mortar etc) does the pipe even qualify as a 'conductor'?

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
Thinking about the jointing techniques that used to be found on cast iron soil pipe (sockets caulked with hemp and tar, pointed with mortar etc) does the pipe even qualify as a 'conductor'?

Worse case, the bottom bit of pipe is at ground potential. The next bit up is at the earth potential as supplied by the incoming PME neutral......
The joing id non conductive so there is a potential difference across the joint. And the pipe is venting a methane and air mixture from the sewers..........

On a radio transmitter site the metal soil pipe ( installed before the building became a transmitter site ) had to have each section bonded to the next section just in case there was spark across a joint. The radio frequency induced voltages were much higher than one would expect to find between domestic earth and ground.

This is an interesting debate!

Can't you test resistance between the soil pipe and 'earth'? A certain value (I'm not sure what it is), will tell you if it needs bonding.

I can only see it needing main bonding. If it is insulated from earth it would need neither main nor supplementary bonding.

but if its main bonded then it would also need to be supplementry bonded.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
RF Lighting said:
Yes if in a bathroom
surely if they are in contact with the ground they need to be main bonded not just supp bonded.

i tend to think a pair of clamps is probablly the easiest soloution though.

I agree, as well as supplementary it must also be Main bonded with 10mm2 cable if it is earthed Soil pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back