Bonnet tiles - acceptable or bodge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am retiling the roof of my new extention and have bought some new hip tiles, however they seem to be the wrong shape/pitch for my roof. This is how they are looking when fitted:

//media.diynot.com/101000_100928_71237_93806612_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/101000_100928_71238_93701375_thumb.jpg

Now they dont fit like bonnet hips fit in every photo Ive seen on the internet so is this a bodge or is it acceptable - Its all watertight, just doesnt look as normal. Or do I need some other type of bonnets or go for ridge tiles?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
They are not fitted correctly. Each course of tiles should cut into a bonnet hip. In the picture the bonnets are sitting on the tiles that should be cut into them.

BODGE!

That said, there is a broad margin of acceptance where pitch suitability is concerned but not that much.

For example, concrete roof tile suppliers may supply a single bonnet that covers a pitch range from 35 to 50 degrees. A hip batten can be fixed to avoid excessively deep mortar.

However arris hip tiles are fitted strictly according to pitch.

It just looks as though your man is clueless. As said they are not aligned with the tile courses.

Many thanks for the replies.

Im doing the roof myself so I am grateful for the guidance. These tiles are clearly not compatible with the pitch so Im go to go for ridge tiles instead. I was just hoping to use the bonnets as I like the look of them, but such is life!

Sponsored Links
As above. That has been done by a builder, not a roofer. He has assumed that the bonnet tiles go over the arris where the two slopes meet.
They should continue each coure of tiles, with the tile adjacent to the bonnet being cut to fit.

OK. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldnt the bonnet tile be at such an angle that its edges where it meets the tile either side are vertical. Or do you fit the bonnet to the pitch then cut the tile that butts up against each side to the resultant angle?

Yes, a nice job, and so good to see the bonnet tiles rather than the usual cumbersome ridge tiles run down the hip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back