What sort of angles will plain bonnet ridge tiles tolerate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My rear extension will have a double pitched roof with hip end. For various reasons to do with tieing in to the existing house hipped roof, the extension part will need to be asymmetrical. This means one pitch will be at 45 degrees, the hip end will also be 45 degrees, but then the opposite pitch needs to be more like 41 or 42 degrees.

How much tolerance is there in a plain bonnet tile - presumably they're mostly designed to suit two 45 degree pitches meeting each other? What can I get away with?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
The Bonnets wont be a problem.

But, be careful not to batten the 45deg sides at minimum headlap as the shallower side will need to be at a larger gauge in order to meet up properly.
So, batten the shallower pitch at 4" (assuming these are normal 10x6 plain tile) and make the steeper sides work to it, they will probably need to be on 3 an 3/4 or something like that.

o_O

Two roofs joning into each other at different planes?

For bonnet tiles to work you need both angles of degree of pitch of the roof joining into each other/hip/valley to be the same.

If one is running at 45 and the other is running at 42 then once finished woth bonnet tiles and looking at the final job, one side from P.O.V would be asthetical pleasing whilst looking at the other side depending on the run of the roof you could end up with ..." of muck on the other side.

Either feather out the roof which willl bring in other serious compromises or have a building designed to suit.

Jhn smiths effects maybe here

Sponsored Links
Agree with both above posts regards a change in pitch and bonnets.

Use ridge tiles on the hips and have separate gauges for differing pitches.

Cheer guys -

Not sure why I didn't think of using ridge tiles on the hips!

The planes will be the same, and that's what's causing me the problem on the other side. Because I want to keep the same ridge height, and because the building size is fixed, the final roof pitch angle is dictated to me.

Not sure if I'm describing this well, but in the diagram below the extension is the left hand portion of the house. Because the existing house already has a hipped end that dictates the angle on one side, and then the size of the extension dictates what the angle must be on t'other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back